Woodlander Arrives- Ben Orford Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
My Woodlander has arrived. Hurrah.

I found Ben via the Woodsmoke site and liked the look of his work, and after speaking to him was convinced this was the knife for me. He was very helpful and friendly and discussed what I wanted and offered advice. Same after it arrived. He called to check I had it OK, and we talked about care and sharpening and different woods and Longbows and woodworking ....generally had a good old chat actually. He's a top bloke.

Ordered it in November last year and it arrived a couple of weeks ago.....only just got around to taking some piccies of it. Normally Ben turns them around a bit quicker, 4-6 weeks, but he had been away and returned to a mass of orders for furniture plus he was having his workshop re-fitted too.

It was well worth the wait though. I have a 3mm blade on mine ( you can choose 4mm if you want) with a Yew scales on the handle (again you can choose from a variety of woods). It came with a combination neck/belt sheath (yep, choice again, you can choose what style, even what colour), hand made and wet moulded to the knife. Also came with a matching yew handled fire steel which has it's own holder on the sheath. All the cord wrapped round to form the baldrick was included too.

It's a really lovely knife. Fantastic piece of work from Ben. The handle is very comfortable, and seems to fit me perfectly as I have smallish hands for a bloke. Nice and easy to control when carving and it comes so sharp you could cry. Haven't been out with it yet, so can't comment on how it performs in the field, but I suspect it will live up to its looks.

Just thought you may like to see it.

Reactions: tomtom

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Nice looking knife. My only comment is that to me the lanyard hole looks in a slightly odd position given the handle shape at that point. It's in line with the bolts, but to my eye it looks like it would be better lower. Is there a reason for that?

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
OH La La!!

That is nice!

Love the handle!

Why do people insist on showing me pictures of things I am now convinced I need to buy?!?!?!?!?

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Lovely knife and I find Yew particularly attractive. I like the handle profile too...the handle width in your photo from above looks generally thicker than the Woodlore and would probably suit me better. What is the handle width at its widest point ?

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
A truly beautiful knife, do they do it with a slightly bigger blade, and beg me for asking...............................how much moola did you have to part with?

My collection grows :puppy_dog

Im'e gonna have to stop looking at these pics ;)

Mark

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
I've just got mine today
It's very very nice
However I got Ben to add an extra bevel on the blade so my poor little pinkies didn't get sore if wet and using fire rod.
Also I got a seperate leather loop so the sheath hangs below my rucksack belt and flops out the way when I sit down

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Falcon: The swell in the centre is about 23mm then tapers in before flaring out to about 27mm at the back.

Rangerman....Ben does a 4mm thick blade too, but the length is standard I think. There are shorter options on some of his other knives though.

This one was £165. Only managed to afford it as I cashed in my Micarta Woody last year on e-bay. Managed to get this, a swanni and a GB SFA with the proceeds so it seemed like a fair way of getting the kit I wanted without spending anything so to speak.

The yew is really lovely, such nice pattern to the grain....the whole thing is very tactile.

Brixton...what wood did you go for? How about some pictures of yours too?

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
scanker said:
Nice looking knife. My only comment is that to me the lanyard hole looks in a slightly odd position given the handle shape at that point. It's in line with the bolts, but to my eye it looks like it would be better lower. Is there a reason for that?

See experiment below

Reactions: tomtom

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
You said the lanyard hole was in the wrong place to your view.
I simply hung it up by some string through the lanyard hole and it hangs plumb.
which to my mind is a good thing as the pointy bits are pointing straight down.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I don't think it would hang other than plumb if the lanyard hole was moved a couple of mm. It'll always point down! :)

Anyway it's not an issue. In your photo it doesn't look anyway near as odd as it did in the original post - I think it must have been a trick of the eye.

Is that a yew handle too? It almost looks like the same knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE