Wood whistle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I am indeed happy to hear other people’s ways of making them.
I’m very interested in how your whistles are bored and to what diameter. I’d love to be able to make a cherry wood whistle. I’d like to explore ways of making them consistently. When I set out with my plastic pipes I tried to make them based on the Native American flute (pipe) but I could only get them right three out of four. In a public workshop it has to be 100% - Everyone has to succeed. I found a way that merged penny whistle with five hole flute. I’m OK with a lathe but I’d love to find a way with branch wood like yours @Broch

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Double posted to add:

Would a plastic pipe discussion be useful here? It’s not exactly Bushcraft ethos!

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Ah! I’ve found the BCUK tutorial.
I think I can improve on the basic block and blade airway. Are chisels allowed?
The big problem is the length and diameter of the bore. One instrument that I make is only 180mm long but it needs at least 20mm bore. I’ll work on that! Are drills appropriate to Bushcraft UK? I could do something with a double edged sheath knife I think, but I’d rather use a drill and reamer.

I’ve got a story telling coming up. Once that is out of the way there are a number of camping/bushcraft projects in line. This shall be one of them.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Whatever you have in your toolkit is fine Pat.

I've seen folks carry all sorts with them into their camps including hand drills and chisels

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I am indeed happy to hear other people’s ways of making them.
I’m very interested in how your whistles are bored and to what diameter. I’d love to be able to make a cherry wood whistle. I’d like to explore ways of making them consistently. When I set out with my plastic pipes I tried to make them based on the Native American flute (pipe) but I could only get them right three out of four. In a public workshop it has to be 100% - Everyone has to succeed. I found a way that merged penny whistle with five hole flute. I’m OK with a lathe but I’d love to find a way with branch wood like yours @Broch

I use whatever tools I have to hand :)

If I'm in my workshop it could be the lathe or a cordless drill or a pillar drill; if I'm in the woods I'll use an auger, or patiently bore out a stick with my Mora carving knife or make a whistle from elder bored out with a blackthorn twig :)

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Ok. Thanks, it’s good to know.

A loooong time ago I was a member of a whittlers association. While some drilling was accepted people got very precious about what sort of woodwork constituted whittling.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE