wood turning

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
I've done the odd bit of turning on a pole lathe and really quite liked it, but now i want the ability to turn up little bits at home, mostly wood and maybe some micarta or plastics, maybe even some non ferrous maetals.

what sort of price range am i looking at, is it possible to get second hand, and waht is the best machine for a (very) confined workshop area?

cheers

Nathan

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
My old wood lathe came from a guy who did the craft fair circuit who was giving it up - so don't ignore the second hand market.
I have turned aluminium, copper and brass on it using the same tools as I use for wood and using the self same techniques - wouldn't recommend it to a newcomer but it can be done.
If you need to keep to a restricted area, measure the space you have and find a machine to fit, rather than estimating that a short bed machine will fit.
I'm sure that you used to be able to buy lathe kits to build at hime but I've no idea where from now.

Not a huge amount of help but you never know.

ATB

Ogri the trog

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
Have a look at the Sieg brand - many happy users around from what I've heard.

You're better getting a lathe capable of working with metal and doing wood on it - it's much more versatile than buying a wood lathe and thn wishing you could do metal. I turn a fair bit of wood on my metal lathe - mainly handles for things.

Ebay could well be your friend as well - for something like a lathe I'd search for something close to home, rather than cheapest!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The tool I keep looking at is the Shopsmith.

It is basically a wood working multi machine.

I would e:bay one, they are expensive new, but seem to be about a fifth the price at least second hand.

You could also make your own. A metal lathe is complecated, but a wood lathe, can be a string, and springy wood, so they are much easy to make.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE