Wood Stabilisation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Can anyone recommend a wood stabilisation service in the UK or Ireland?

I have a half dozen sets of really nice elm and oak burr scales that will need to stabilised. I spoke to someone at Wood and Knife Supply last year about getting them stabilised but the spare cash wasn't there. Now that I have the money their website seems to be gone so I can't contact them.

Can anyone recommend another place or do you have a contact for these guys?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland

That's a great tutorial, thanks. But the burl I have has voids that will need to be filled, so I don't think it will work this time.

Pikebite on this very forum (assuming it's the same guy as on British Blades)

Thanks, mate. I've tried contacting Pikebite about that before but I didn't get a reply. It's a shame because I've used his scales before and they are good.

Chatting to the guy from English Handmade Knives at the Bushcraft show, they now offer it I believe.

Sounds interesting. I don't see anything on their website. If you have any more info could you PM me, please?

Pop over to BB and drop crandart a note. :)

Thanks Stew. Do you know if it's the type of stabilisation that will fill the voids in the burr?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You want the wood plasticizing rather than stabilizing to fill voids. Similar process different resin. Though i think you need a vacuum/pressure chamber for it doing properly.

The only people i know who do/did it was Tom law from wood and knife and pikebite. Though i asked pikebite about it a bit back and he said he was stopping doing it due to health reasons. Might be different now.

Toms website is still there

http://woodandknifesupply.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_2

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks for the replies. I shipped the scales out to Tom Law of Wood and Knife Supplies today. Really looking forward to getting these back.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Does anyone have a phone number for Tom from wood and knife supply? I havn't had a reply to any emails for two months now and I'm getting a bit worried as I can't find any contact details beyond the email address.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Does anyone have a phone number for Tom from wood and knife supply? My scales have been over there since August and I havn't had a reply to any emails for two months. I wouldn't post this publicly but I'm getting worried as the timber is worth a fair few quid and I can't find any contact details beyond the email address.

There's an admin phone number here:
http://whois.net/whois/woodandknifesupply.com

It may just lead to a web designer though...

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks, Stew. Gonna try alternate email, then phone, and if all else fails I'll send a pm through that forum (I'm not a registered member there).

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks for the initial suggestions and further contact details. It turns out Tom was ill for a time, but I received the scales today. They were worth waiting for though. They will look even nicer when finished. I have two enzo neckers, a spyderco mule waiting for handles and I'm expecting a HillBill custom blade any day now, so these are going to be well used when I find the time!

Oak burl:

Elm burl:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE