Wood-leather Scandi Sheath

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I finally got around to having a go at one of these.
It’s an experiment to learn the process before I ruin some nice birch burr to match the knife handle. I used Ash and carved out a recess for the blade, and glued on and reshaped the second half.

000_0801.jpg

000_0802.jpg

000_0804.jpg

I think my ear might be a little big, and sheath overall a bit lumpy looking, but I’m pleased with my stitching, saddle stitched it while wet using an awl and linen thread. Lovely snug fit and click. I found that if I adjusted the part sizes for aesthetics, I might compromise on strength as I do intend on using it.
Just some Elm bark cordage for a loop at the mo, but I might add another type when I’ve some more time.
Really enjoyed this little project and look forward to completing others.

000_0805.jpg

Addo :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
>>> It’s an experiment to learn the process before I ruin some nice birch burr to match the knife handle. <<<

I reckon you pretty much nailed it :headbang: .

The ear looks good ~ but I can't judge the ergonomics properly with the close up pic and TBH, you'd only be able to shave a couple of mm before the ear became form before function.

goodjob

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks guys, glad you think its ok. If anyone has any tips on improvemnt to the shape etc that would be great also :)

Nice one Paul, will this be with you at NW tomorrow? Wouldn't mind a better look at it...

Yes mate, rushed it to get it done for the meet see you there.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'm not the only one that rushed a sheath ready for the meet then. It's not for me though, just don't tell Dave I rushed it!

Looking at the pics I don't see any need for improvement, looks real tidy to me...

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Addo
I think you could have made the wood much narrower its amazing how thin you can go. I would also shape the end of the sheath with a curve to give it more flow. The sheath should have the curves of teh knife IMO.

I have also been advised to put a step in the wood so teh leather is flush with the wood where it terminates.
Just a friction fit I presume?

This one of mine may help explain what I mean a little

Scandi kith 1 by alfred.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks guys,

Alf, I'll try to go thinner on the next one, just didn't want it to collapse if sat on, but I guess with experience I'll get used to what they're capable of.
I guess not forming around the bolster so much would help too. I'm kicking myself for forgetting to extend the curve too. O well I'll slow down on the next one and get it right.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Addo
I am just making suggestions but thats how all learn I think

Look HERE for an idea on how adjust the lines of teh leather. Also have a look at Gunnars gallery for ideas for future.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers Barn Owl, and thanks for the advice and links Alf, it was yours and Soars work that inspired me a couple of years back.

Biker

I have a scandi type knife in my workshop just needing a sheath made for it. Your idea has been the inspiration I needed for what type to make. It's really nice. As Decorum said as regards experimenting, you've nailed it. Well done!

Beeyootiful work. I think the only thing I'd change is the method of hanging it, not too sure I like the "ear". Looks like it'd rub against me too much. I'm planning on a simple dangler system of attaching it to my belt.

Biker

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE