Wood ID please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I would have said Eucalyptus as well, although I've found it burns ok. The cracking is rather unusual.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Eucalyptus.. Allow to season well since the wood is very wet (sappy) when fresh. Can be difficult to split due to stringy wood fibre. Best method is to slice into rings and allow to season during the summer, the rings will start to split themselves. Burns fast with a pleasant smell and without spitting. Grade: B-C

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Another vote for Eucalyptus here. I find it burns ok too if well seasoned. The juvenile leaves are very popular in floristry. The two I have in clients gardens seem to attract wasps and hornets like mad when in flower. (Meant bees not wasps):)

Last edited:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Definitely Eucalyptus and well on its way to drying out by the looks of the cracking.

I have found it to be easiest to split while still green as it goes hard as heck once dried and I find it makes very good firewood. I've never tried leaving it to split when it's dry for big rounds as everybody I know says it's a nightmare....but hey if it works for you then who cares :) I have done it with sub 10" rounds and to be honest a hefty wack with my splitting maul seems to do the job fine no matter how dry.
It's a fairly heavy wood when green and, I think, rather a light wood when dry giving an idea of just how much water is in the tree.

Bearing in mind there are well over 300 different species of Eucalyptus the above may vary from one to another.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
we thought it might be eucalyptus but expected it to burn better, also thought the wood might have had a eucalyptus smell to it.

I've only really noticed the smell from the leaves (I've used them in hot water to clear blocked noses). I know people who tell me they can smell it from the wood as it burns but as I've only ever burned it in a wood burner I've never smelt anything.

Chances are it's not dry enough yet if it's not burned that well for you....althought the cracking in the photo shows that it is drying...and it's hard to tell from the photo but it doesn't look dry to me. Have you got a moisture meter? You can pick them up on eBay for under £20 and they are useful...ideally you want to be burning stuff with a reading under 10 to 15% moisture. As a rough guide it should feel very slightly lighter than you'd expect for its size when you pick it up if that makes sense :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE