Wood ID help (Photo heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
On a bit of an adventure in East Kent earlier in the summer, I pulled out a dead (but not rotten) branch out of a hedge row, thinking it was about the right size for some projects I have planned.

Thing is, because it was dead, and thus leafless, coupled with not being able to work out which of the tree's it had fallen from, I don't actually know what type of tree it is. I've just taken some photos as close up and detailed as I can.

From these photos, can anyone identify what type of wood this is?

Woodsample01_sm.jpg

Woodsample02_sm.jpg

Woodsample03_sm.jpg
Woodsample04_sm.jpg
Woodsample05_sm.jpg

Woodsample06_sm.jpg
Woodsample07_sm.jpg

Thanks

J

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That looks very much like Spindle to me, from your pictures, and thrown back in the hedgerow is where I generally find it. Do what dwardo suggests, bit more of a clue then.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Here is a picture of the end grain:

Woodsample08_sm.jpg

Not the best photo, but it's hard getting enough light and detail on it. For scale, it's 22.5mm across.

Both Spindle tree, and Hornbeam would be appropriate, it's a very hard wood to work.

J

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Pretty sure they used to call hornbeam cog wood. It's not very common up north but the bits I have seen were similar to that. Very dense wood very heavy. Try to work it green before it sets like concrete.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've got a Spindle stick in front of me where I'm sitting, and I've used the wood for various things over the years; although the piece I have here was made up a good few years ago and has had a light sanding over the bark and a few coats of walnut oil from time to time, I think it's the same stuff........................

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Too late on the working it green, this was seasoned before I got my hands on it.

It doesn't feel that heavy, the small piece I have in my hand is 112mm long, 22.5 diameter, and weighs 202g, for a density of approx 0.24g/cm³

This site suggest density of Hornbeam is 0.83g/cm³...

I can't find any data on density for spindle tree wood.

Thanks

J

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
My initial thoughts, very early this morning were Hornbeam, i too was going to ask for the requested end grain pic, i was still none the wiser, as i and others have so often stated with pics, however good, there is nothing quite like the feel, texture,smell and general handling to give a more accurate decision.

But if i were pushed i think i would still stick with Hornbeam.

One small interesting fact about Hornbeam, is that it was widely used many years ago to steralise surgical instuments as it is one of the cleanest burning woods there is.

Ivan..

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Your calculation on the density would tend to confirm Spindle for me, it would suggest the density of around 20% - 30% of Hornbeam, and just on the feel of it that seems somewhere near to me. Although extremely strong, Spindle is indeed a less dense wood, and very light when seasoned. One of it's valuable properties is that it will sharpen to, and hold, a very good point, even more so if sharpened and then blackened in the fire.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Spindle would certainly seem to fit the bill then.

I tried finding the hedgerow I pulled this out of on Google street view, but alas, the dead bit pulled out is on street view, but there is no other info to say help work out what it is.

Maybe if the wind and rain ever stop, I could go out on the bike and see if I can find anything useful.

The end that people asked me to polish is very smooth, and feels nice to touch. I picked it up to use to make knife handles with.

Thanks

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Decided to have another play with the extension tubes on my camera do see if I could get a better shot.

Woodsample09_sm.jpg

Doubt it helps any further with ID, but I thought it was a nice shot...

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just did a flame test on a shaving of this wood. It burns, but the moment I took the match away, it smoldered out. Not able to keep itself alight. I don't know if this has any bearing on the ID...

J

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If its not heavy in the hand its not hornbeam. Problem with bark only is it can be very different depending on its ages and where its growing.
I pass lol.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just did a flame test on a shaving of this wood. It burns, but the moment I took the match away, it smoldered out. Not able to keep itself alight. I don't know if this has any bearing on the ID...

J

Fits with Spindle, it used to be used as cooking skewers precisely because of this quality, I believe.

I've just realised that my posts probably sound very insistent, as if I know 100% what this is, but I'm just expressing my opinion based on what I've dragged up from the depths of a very unreliable memory.

If you can get back to the hedge, have a look for a shrubby pland growing with the semi-mature wood having a square-ish cross section; that tells you it's Spindle.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
I have no experience with spindle - is spindle Euonymus europaeus? If so this site has some warnings about the poisonous nature of the plant and recommends caution when working with the wood to avoid breathing the dust from the wood.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
It could be spindle, if you can check the young twigs, they are almost square in section because of the ridges down the sides

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE