Wood gas stove

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I am looking for a little advise in regards to wood gas stove, what's the best quality, value etc and if anyone has one for trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S1lver

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2013
Windsor
Hi Tom

I have the wild stoves wood gas iit

Used it a couple of times so far so a bit early for a comrehensive assessment but...

Its a compact size.
Produces a very efficient, almost smokeless burn that boils my 12 cm billy in about five mins.
When cooking, after the boiling burn has finished it continues to produce a simmering heat as the coals die off which when i used it last Saturday warmed a boil in the bag curry through nicely.
It can be used with a trangia burner when the wood is too wet to burn
You can also get wood pellets for about £10 for 10 kg which will last forever (again useful if foraged dead wood is unavailable).
Wild stoves customer service us excellent.
Quite pricey but worth it in quality terms

It looks cool and its British

Just my quick 2p worth

Cheers

Steve

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I have used the original bushbuddy since before 07 and its still going strong, even although it is very light in weight it is still very robust, you now have alternatives which in my opinion are just as good and cheaper, I have never used one but have read a lot of reviews and they seem to fair pretty well, you pay's your money and takes your chance. I can only vouch for the BB as its the only wood gas cooker I've used, here is a link http://www.bushbuddy.ca/order.html But beware the $120 price is ok unless it gets stopped by customs then its around double.

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
midnight hound is selling a couple for £25 each there copies but half the price

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have the wild gas stove, the original one not the chinese knock off, I guess I like supporting British companies and find it a great bit of kit as already said it burn hot and almost smokeless, no need for cat litter if you can light a fire and use the wood around you.

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
I have a copy off eBay, cost me £18 and they're still on there now. It works as expected, no issues with it. Its nice and light and I can store small bits of kit or fuel in it when packed.

I like supporting British companies, but I like money in my pocket more lol so I went for the cheaper option. Each to their own :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
My personal opinion is that it's totally unacceptable for any of us to be buying knock-off stuff from wherever it comes; it's just preventing home-grown enterprises from flourishing, thus taking jobs/potential jobs and preventing said enterprises from being able to move forward and make a decent fist of it. And if you think it doesn't affect you, who are your customers, or the customers of those who employ you? If they're not thriving how can you?

Before anybody comes at me with the "I can't afford it" line, I manage to do it and I live on nothing more than a state pension, i.e. almost nil.
It's more a case of you can't afford NOT to do it, support the guys who design, develope and bring to market all sorts of cool new stuff, not somebody on the other side of the planet who's done none of the work...............otherwise there won't be any more cool new stuff, eh?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
My personal opinion is that it's totally unacceptable for any of us to be buying knock-off stuff from wherever it comes; it's just preventing home-grown enterprises from flourishing, thus taking jobs/potential jobs and preventing said enterprises from being able to move forward and make a decent fist of it. And if you think it doesn't affect you, who are your customers, or the customers of those who employ you? If they're not thriving how can you?

Before anybody comes at me with the "I can't afford it" line, I manage to do it and I live on nothing more than a state pension, i.e. almost nil.
It's more a case of you can't afford NOT to do it, support the guys who design, develope and bring to market all sorts of cool new stuff, not somebody on the other side of the planet who's done none of the work...............otherwise there won't be any more cool new stuff, eh?

I simply wouldn't have purchased one if a cheaper one wasn't available - as the UK version of product is overpriced (and also made in China). Wildstoves could've decided to manufacture the item in the UK and justify the higher price tag, or make it in China and pass the saving across to it's customers. It seems to have done neither and therefore opened itself up to being undercut with no overriding reason to "Buy British".

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
As wood gas stoves are so easy to make, I cannot really understand why anyone would want to buy one. The one featured in this video is also adjustable, so the maker can learn a little about combustion processes and so improve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luO3_08iqZI

It costs just nothing.

Time, availability of parts, reliability, quality, pack size.... All sorts of reasons.

S1lver

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2013
Windsor
I simply wouldn't have purchased one if a cheaper one wasn't available - as the UK version of product is overpriced (and also made in China). Wildstoves could've decided to manufacture the item in the UK and justify the higher price tag, or make it in China and pass the saving across to it's customers. It seems to have done neither and therefore opened itself up to being undercut with no overriding reason to "Buy British".

Just had cause to raise a minor query with Wild Stoves. Involved a short conversation, sending a part back which was replaced without any dramas all within three days.
Moral issue of seeking to support a UK business (who I do not beieve have off shore bank accounts and personal mansions!) aside I'm not sure Id get the same service from a foreign e bay seller.

My extra 2p worth!

Cheers

Steve

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Just had cause to raise a minor query with Wild Stoves. Involved a short conversation, sending a part back which was replaced without any dramas all within three days.
Moral issue of seeking to support a UK business (who I do not beieve have off shore bank accounts and personal mansions!) aside I'm not sure Id get the same service from a foreign e bay seller.

My extra 2p worth!

Cheers

Steve

I could've bought another 2 for spares for the price difference. They're made in china, maybe designed in england - marketed in england yes. But if a chinese manufacturer can ship them for just over a 3rd of the price of a UK one and still make a profit then you have to wonder about the UK price point. As it stands if they were only available for £50 I wouldn't have bought one so wild stoves have not lost out on a sale. Tell you what, I'll set up a business importing the Chinese clones at £17's a pop and sell them on here for £25's a pop. Will you support my UK based business?

oh and £4.50 for 450g of wood pellets? I can get 10kg of premium wood pellets for £10's including delivery
http://www.woodpellets2u.co.uk/single-bag-of-premium-wood-pellets-0?gclid=CKb-7PL-_bwCFUsUwwod4ioA1g

Last edited:

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else

Hear Hear, well said that man.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE