Wood fire tar cleanup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have been using wood for fuel recently after a long time using gas and meths. Now I have sticky crusader mugs so was wondering the best way to keep things clean when out and about?
I tried baby wipes with little success so what do others use to keep their pots sparkly?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Some people claim that you need to wipe the outside of the pot with liquid dish-washing detergent first.
Never done that so can't confirm.

I heat my house with a Harman PP38+ compressed wood pellet stove = very effective. It has a glass door.
That gets crapped up with some sort of greasy condensate which I clean off every 36-48 bags (40lbs each).
Gooey stuff in a small bottle called "wood stove glass door cleaner." Very effective and easy to use on a paper towel.
Just as effective for fire soot on the outside of a pot!

edr730

Mar 23, 2015
north michigan
Lye. Oven cleaner is lye and so is many drain openers such as draino or red devil lye. Same stuff that is used to make soap. Just be careful.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Don't bother to clean the base until you get back a dull pot takes up more heat than a shinny pot. An easy way to clean it after is throw it in a bucket of water and old school washing soda, just let it soak for a couple of days and the tar falls off. Great thing about it is that it does not degrade alloy.

bearbait

I used to clean the glass door of my wood-burning stove by rubbing with dampened newspaper dipped into the wood ash in the stove. I believe this forms a basic sort of improvised lye. Then clean up the glass with dampened newspaper alone. May work for your pots.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
When you've finished cooking, clean the inside as usual and put the empty pot/billy on the fire and get it really hot; take it off and let it cool, then take a wedge-shaped piece of wood and just scrape it off. 99% of the black will just fall off really easily and the rest is easily got rid of with a bit of ash or sand. Works a treat :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
When you've finished cooking, clean the inside as usual and put the empty pot/billy on the fire and get it really hot; take it off and let it cool, then take a wedge-shaped piece of wood and just scrape it off. 99% of the black will just fall off really easily and the rest is easily got rid of with a bit of ash or sand. Works a treat :)

+ 1 to this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE