wood drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steveo

Forager
May 10, 2005
Earth
I have just made a wood drill and it works just as well as any electric drill i have ever used (for wood that is) Using the same method as the fire bow, except at the end of the spindle i have inserted a 4inch nail with the head cut off (so the pointed end is sticking outwards) thats all there is to it.
It drilled through a piece of birch that was 2" thick in a matter of seconds !

:lmao:

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Cool!

Post a pic of the nail tip!

Would be interested in having a look!

Have you thought about a natural tip?

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
steveo said:
I have just made a wood drill and it works just as well as any electric drill i have ever used

I could never work out who exactly bought Black&Decker....I have one name now though!?! :lmao:

steveo

Forager
May 10, 2005
Earth
No pic sorry (busted camera) , i have seen natural drill tips ie quarts and flint but this was just the easy option lol :)

steveo

Forager
May 10, 2005
Earth
I know what you mean, i was reading a book and the author made a refrence to this method , the book was Wildwood Wisdom. :)

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
Surely just a nail would't go through very easily, I would have thought it needs to be rought to go through the wood?

I hope you get a new camera, I would love to see some pics it sounds great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE