Wood carving

piglet1

May 7, 2010
Bath
Hello people , My first post so foregive me for being dim . Does anyone have some good ideas for wood to use for carving some small piece,s that will be repeated several times e.g a chess set . any help would be great thank you

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
apple, birch... something soft so it is a lot easier. dont start with a chess set, bit too fine detail.
what knives do you have for this?

piglet1

May 7, 2010
Bath
I,ve got a very fine set of 1962 I.M.C 6 piece wood carving set tools (for the amateur craftsman, modelmaking, construction kits etc.) from a friend and a stanly knife and i know it looks like a big thing to start with but im in no hurry .

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Hey Piglet1 Welcome to BCUK mate

Thats a fine set of carving tools you got there

What wood you gonna go with? Poplar sounds interesting

Maybe someone on here has made a chess set and can give you some pointers
all the best mate

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I wonder how easy it is to carve wood? Forgive this ignorant question but I am not a practical sort but have always wished I could do something with an artistry about it. Whether paint, draw, carve or whatever. Its just made me think IF I start of easy I could learn to carve simple things. Might give me encouragement to try other things.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm comandeering another's thread but is there anything easy to start on with easily obtained wood that you could recommend for someone with only a clipper, opinel and SAK to do? Preferably something that would leave my fingers in the condition they were before I started. A hard thing to achieve for me. :D

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
I wonder how easy it is to carve wood? Forgive this ignorant question but I am not a practical sort but have always wished I could do something with an artistry about it. Whether paint, draw, carve or whatever. Its just made me think IF I start of easy I could learn to carve simple things. Might give me encouragement to try other things.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm comandeering another's thread but is there anything easy to start on with easily obtained wood that you could recommend for someone with only a clipper, opinel and SAK to do? Preferably something that would leave my fingers in the condition they were before I started. A hard thing to achieve for me. :D

I agree with Martinidave get a good whittling book to give you ideas and the knowledge to start whittling here a few books and most of them are good i have most of them. take a look here http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...=aps&hvadid=36911006531&ref=pd_sl_nse3hdov9_e
Hope this helps

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think the only thing I ever did with my first penknife as a kid was whittle a stick into a pointy stick. It is amazing how many times you can do that without getting bored as a kid. And of course a stick does have two ends to whittle. :D

I'm guessing as an adult I should be able to do more than that.

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
I think the only thing I ever did with my first penknife as a kid was whittle a stick into a pointy stick. It is amazing how many times you can do that without getting bored as a kid. And of course a stick does have two ends to whittle. :D

I'm guessing as an adult I should be able to do more than that.

That is so true about not getting bored with whittling a stick as a kid and it's the same for me now :D it's just i whittle chains and balls in cages now. But it is more the about the enjoyment i get from whittling than about the finished product and i think if you ask most people who whittle or carve for a hobby they will tell you the same.

piglet1

May 7, 2010
Bath
Hello again people i thank you for all your advice and have moved on , i have now done two 5 minute wizards (easily found on you tube just tap in 5 minute wizard ).theirs also a 5 minute bear which is good to, of which i added arms with out any help just free handing COOL !!!!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Cheers.. I really needed another hobby.

How much are the basic carving tools going to cost? I suppose I could make a basic knife myself (sigh) :)

I've carved Shelf Elves. The whole thing can be carved with a small carving knife but the addition of a V tool is helpful but not essential.

shelf_elf1b.jpg

shelf_elf2b.jpg

shelf_elf3b.jpg

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
hey thats really good hoodoo :)

what wood did you use for it? on the youtube video allan says he is using northern basswood, i'm not entirely sure but i think basswood is what we brits call lime.

TJ

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Nice Elves Hoodoo. Basswood is Lime over here. It's an easy wood to carve, and takes details very well. As to tools you only need very few to start with. I'd go with Hoodoo, a small pen knife, a Vee tool and you can do a lot with that. A few addition of Flexcut carving tools and you are set up to do hundreds of carvings. I fact, it's better to start with few tools, you really learn to use and master that one tool, then you can add to it in the knowledge that each tool you buy will be a useful addition.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Nice Elves Hoodoo. Basswood is Lime over here. It's an easy wood to carve, and takes details very well. As to tools you only need very few to start with. I'd go with Hoodoo, a small pen knife, a Vee tool and you can do a lot with that. A few addition of Flexcut carving tools and you are set up to do hundreds of carvings. I fact, it's better to start with few tools, you really learn to use and master that one tool, then you can add to it in the knowledge that each tool you buy will be a useful addition.

Yup, it's norhthern basswood. And although its the same species, there is a big difference in texture between northern and southern basswood. Southern basswood tends to be more coarse in texture and tends to splinter more although it is still good carving wood. How lime compares, I dunno.

A good rule for carvers is to add tools as you need them instead of buying sets of tools. A SAK makes a good carving knife if you tweak the blades. The small blade especially makes a great basswood carving blade. You can even turn the can opener into a hooked skew although I found out the hard way if you cut too much of the littl arm off, the blade will drop too low in the handle when you close it. You can also grind the large screwdriver blade into a nice chisel.

littlebookofwhittling1b.jpg

sak_hookskew2b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE