Wood carving gouges.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
Hi folks, I'm after some small wood carving gouges but don't want to spend a great deal. I was hoping someone could recommend a brand they had used that wasn't to expensive but did the job well.
I'll be using them for wood spirits, (4" approx) and detail on spoons etc. Is £50 for a set realistic or do I need to bite the bullet and go Flexcut?

Thanks
Cactus

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
W M Marples is the brand you want, company no longer exists in that family run way but loads of vintage sets kicking about on ebay, search marples and carving

I got these 5 for £22 inc postage, made in Sheffield in the 70's and beautiful things to use, they normall come as a set of 6 but i had no interest in the v gouge i am missing

attachment.php

a good example of a full set

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
i second the Marple's hobby set, i have those too quality items. my preference is Flexcut though super sharp and ready to go. if your only doing small projects have you looked at palm gouges? gets you closer to the work. i have this American brand called Millers Falls, good old school quality and not too pricey :)

but to be honest a cheap Draper or Axminster tools hobbyist starter set will get you going, those sets did me fine for my woodspirits that size until i could afford better. :)

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I also started with the little Draper hobby set they're nice and cheap and very easy to maintain and with 12 assorted blades there's one for every job, I really love my Marples set though, they were already nice and sharp but i made a shaped honing set on wooden dowels with different grades of wet and dry and they are now shave sharp and easily kept that way, i almost bought a set of the palm gouges but after reading Wille Sundqvists book Swedish Carving Techniques (Fine Woodworking) and a bit of practice i favoured just choking up on the grip using his safe gouging technique with the Marples set, they live in a leather tool roll and go everywhere i do where i might get a chance to work on wood

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
similarly my flexcut 11 piece travelers set rolls up tiny and i take it into the woods or work. its a bit like this camping hobby we have GGTBod, kit gets bought and exchanged as we get further into it until we think we have it finally sorted! :)

Steve

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Too right, i've just grabbed myself a vintage set of Millers Falls palm gouges, thanks for the heads up they look lovely, just gotta wait for them to get here from the States now.

I've often drooled over the Flexicut gear and almost bought the left handed carving jack on multiple midnight browsing sessions but i prefer the vintage tools especially ones that have been well used and well looked after, feels like the spirit of the previous carvers who owned them is guiding my novice hands, except when i cut myself :lmao:

Cool vids in your sig there Steve you make that look too easy

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Ha! Good for you, they really are a great little set. I cant remember exactly how long mine took to arrive, but I recall thinking that was quick! Thanks for the tutorial vid comment, you ever get to any meets?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
My apologies too, were still sortof on topic, it's all about carving at least.

I plan to get to meets at some point but i there does not seem to be many up my neck of the woods so most of my outdoor activities tend to happen north of the border for the freedom to wild camp, i've got myself pencilled in for next years Bushmoot but it's looking like the date might clash with my Adirondack canoe trip set in Aug-sept next year.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Yeah sure no probs, the two links that show in WS sig

[video=youtube;W2myTHXZqzk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2myTHXZqzk[/video]

FB channel link

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
Thanks for the replys, I'll look into them and hopefully pick some up. Although I've a long way to go before my wood spirits look anything like those in the videos ☺

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE