Wood burner in the garden

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
1,384
110
Scotland
I have about 3 large bin-ful of fresh wood cut offs from 2-3 year ago, when I was clearing out the back garden. The tree branches were cut off to small stump and little twigs, and stored in the bins. Now they must be well cured and dried after 2-3 years in the bins. I am thinking of ways to burn them in a wood stove or log burner in the garden, during this November - December time when folks do bon fires and also fire works going everywhere in the village and streets.

I wonder if there is a good way to set up a wood stove in the back garden or log burner. I have both in the garden shed, but not having been using them for a few year now, now sure if there are good ways to set it up for the wood burning session. Maybe the easiest way to set up for here would be putting the stove under the tarp by Wolf909 design, which I still have. The tarp has the flue hole which can put through the chimney of the stove through.

I wonder if any of you will be burning wood logs during this autumn and winter in the back garden on the patio or at the corner of the shed doing BBQ or preparing meals off the wood fire in the stove or fire pit.
 
Correction on my old tarp. The accurate model of the tarp seems to be "LoneWolf 902". I had it for about 10 years now. Still seems going strong. Here is youtube clip on the tarp by the designer himself. I found the tarp great for the corner of the garden with the wood stove and chilling out in the summer. But should work ok in winter too.

 
How long does a washing machine drum last when used as a fire pit?
Are there any issues with them rusting away?
 
I’ve just been writing an answer to @TeeDee ’s post and had a thought:

What restrictions are there for open fires / stoves in urban areas? I guess it varies with district/authority.

In Telford you risk the fire brigade turning up and putting out your fire. The bill of expenses follows rapidly: £50 last I heard but that was a long time ago.

I think I’ll have to ask at the council. This is interesting!

I live in the “and” region of the Telford and Wrekin authority. It’s the land that Telford forgot (until the river bridge failed and the commuters couldn’t get through the village.).

I’ve slowed traffic on the B5063 with a bonfire smoke without consequences.

However, how restricted might you (theoretically) be making your stove?

(pee ess: It’s always easier to apologise than ask permission!)
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE