wood based base needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

onnen

Feb 18, 2009
south Wales
I recently had my promotion from occasional helper to assistant leader in the local Scout group and made the error of saying I do a bit of woodwork and other wood based crafts at the warants interview, I have now been asked by a group leader who was on the warants panel to help out at their St georges day fun day.
The request was,to set up a "wood craft" base ,to give a hands on approach and expect Beavers, Cubs and Scouts and hopefully family members as well.He said last year they tried not very successfully to make whistles.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated as the only thing I can come up with is to give them a blunt pencil and see if they could sharpen it safely with a knife.
Thanks

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
Wood cookies - using a saw cut a slice of wood from a branch (a wood cookie) use a hand drill to put a hole in it. Decorate with whatever you've got - pencils, paint, felt tips etc (outcome will depend on age) woodburning is also good. Put onto a string or keyring or glue a badge pin on the back or even a piece of PVC pipe to make it into a woggle (easier if you have electricity for a glue gun). Everyone can do this. Its good to have a saw horse or vice to hold the wood as younger kids don't have the strength to hold it and saw (needs to be dry wood to decorate) Have some inspiring examples - people always like to have something to look at - st georges flag is a nice simple design! Sandpaper to smooth the cookies before you decorate.

Woodburning onto the cookies can be done with a soldering iron OR if you put wooden handles onto something like a piece of bicycle spoke and hold them in a lighted gas burner to get really this works as well and you don't need electricity!!! This was a popular craft activity when I was a Guider in South Africa - but they didn't really worry about Health and Safety there!! Thick gloves do help though!!

Hope this helps - keep it simple!!

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
carving basic tent pegs ?

This is good if you have enough knives the Mora viking can be had for £2.49 each at Clas Olson.

Do not say bring your own knife the assortment on blunt and dogy articles that will turn up will amaze you.

Look HERE for more ideas.

Ask the following and more.

How many people will be there?
What is the budget?
What kit do you have?
Is it a free for all and anyone can turn up?
Is there any structure to who will be coming my way?
How big an area will I be working in?
How many helpers will I have?
What will you provide?
What do I need to provide?
What do I need to arrange?

onnen

Feb 18, 2009
south Wales
Thanks for the input everyone,some great ideas.Thats a great tick list Brancho and a good link ,cheers.
Its only for a couple of hours,Budget;do they ever want to spend anything.It sounds like a very well organised get on with it over there in the corner on that table and be prepared for anything and anyone.
I think I might go for the woodcookies for this one ,with the younger ones and perhaps a feather stick intro/competition for the older ones andgive the tent peg carving a go on a camp when there is more time ,which will give me time to asses their knife skills(which was non existent the last time I met them).
Ogri, its the leaders that need an introduction to basic tree I D,it was scary when I tagged along on their nature badge ,the Cub leader showed them a "TREE" to do the bark rubbing,I asked them what tree it was ,the leaders did not know it was my son who told them. I was glad I went along as I was able to show them some basics, but was told off when I showed them Blackberries "THEY ARE NOY ALLOWED TO EAT ANY BERRIES" why I said long story/argument/disagreement.never mind.
Thanks again for all your help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE