Woobies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
In essence it is,however it is more water resistant and better insulation than the woobie .So I would say a more modern & improved version.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Looks like the old "warm" kit we got back in the early 90s. Quilted, stiff, badly fitting and cold to the touch.

Forget that, get some proper modern warm kit. I reccomend primaloft.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don’t think the poncho liner is that warm anyway. My experience using it for one night in an American barracks in March and I was cold.

Emergency use yes, comfort warm no
Yeah
Don’t think the poncho liner is that warm anyway. My experience using it for one night in an American barracks in March and I was cold.

Emergency use yes, comfort warm no
Yeah, it was never meant for anything more than a tropical climate.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Couldn’t imagine it used anywhere else, my sleeping bag was packed away and got the liner out because it was handy just for the one night and paid for it woke up a lot cold.
Like a good warm sleeping bag the bigger the better

Reactions: santaman2000

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Civilian versions of woobies are now everywhere - not just the Snugpak jungle version, but from hiking brands. Mines from Kelty. Have a look on Amazon and you will find ones that go from the sort of thing that you could use to snuggle with on a cold evening during a barbecue to the really puffy ones that you could possibly use as a sleeping bag substitute. Many are now filled with down, from Rumpl, ENO, Rab, Alpkit (£99 and apparently great value), etc - and poshly expensive bit nice they are too.

If you fly business or first class, the duvet you get to use is a bit like a posh woombie as well - my wife bought one about a decade ago when she started to fly international for work, which is the Westin - which is great. I have collected a number via Ebay, and the United Airlines Saks 5th Avenue one is lovely. Its nicer than the Kelty one, for a start.

I cant think of any real reason to bother buying a woombie (about £18 from Endicotts, when they have stock) to turn into a hoodie. If you want a quilted jacket, then just go to Ebay and look for a cheap quilted Barbour, etc. Because thats essentially what it is. It will probably cost you less over all (some start at a quid!), and be more practical. Dont know about a hood, but overall much better. And if you want an insulated jacket, then Go Outdoors or Decathalon will do one for you for a decent price. I have one from Decathlon that i got for £25. Or buy something decent but 2nd hand from Ebay.

A woombie or similar is useful for lots of things. But not much point in trying to make it into something its not.

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE