Woobies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm seeing a growing trend/fad for Hoodies and Jackets made from Woobies.

Are they worth the fuss?

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Makes sense now. I’d never heard that term before. I’d cut a head hole into one and make it into a ‘serape’ type blanket. Could then use it as a blanket etc. But more versatile.
I guess if folk have the time to make something out of one then it’s probably a fun project.

Reactions: TeeDee

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
The very excellent US issue poncho liner has been a mainstay in my travelling kit for over a decade. Lightweight, very robust and with good insulating properties, I use it as a blanket, a light duvet, an extra layer inside a sleeping bag, as a bed sheet in the van or in hostels...... it is currently in my work van as part of my breakdown/get home bag.....

The use of surplus poncho liners being made into hoodies isn't new. They are very popular in the US and have only just reached the websites in the UK. I toyed with idea of getting my poncho liner made into a hoodie, I can definitely see the use of one, but decided against it in the end because well, I love my poncho liner too much.

But if I had a spare, I'd get it done into a hoodie!

Here's a link to a UK site to whet your appetite.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The very excellent US issue poncho liner has been a mainstay in my travelling kit for over a decade. Lightweight, very robust and with good insulating properties, I use it as a blanket, a light duvet, an extra layer inside a sleeping bag, as a bed sheet in the van or in hostels...... it is currently in my work van as part of my breakdown/get home bag.....

The use of surplus poncho liners being made into hoodies isn't new. They are very popular in the US and have only just reached the websites in the UK. I toyed with idea of getting my poncho liner made into a hoodie, I can definitely see the use of one, but decided against it in the end because well, I love my poncho liner too much.

But if I had a spare, I'd get it done into a hoodie!

Is the material windproof?

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I can see them being pretty useful as a throw over layer on a stop or getting some kip in a vehicle.
As above I have a poncho liner in the van for emergencies, last used during an unexpected stay in hospital when my son was born and it’s a good bit of kit

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have never used one, how useful would it be in the out. Is it just a light weight blanket or is there more to it?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I believe Woobie is what American service people refer to as their Windproof (?) poncho liner.

Well, sorta. “Woobie” is the American term for any type blanket (or even a toy) a child uses as a comfort item: something he carries close for security. During the Vietnam War it was extended to include the poncho liner because the G.I.s had a similar attachment to it. Even more recently it’s been extended to include toys your pets show a similar attachment to: our peekapoo always gats his and carries it to bed with him.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is the material windproof?
Not really but it does “reduce” the wind effects some.
Vaguely....... it compares well to a light puffy jacket, like the montane Prism.

I’d compare it to the snap in liners for the old M65 Field Jacket, or to the zip in vest liners for the Barbour waxed jackets.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....lThe use of surplus poncho liners being made into hoodies isn't new. They are very popular in the US and have only just reached the websites in the UK....
I’ve never seen it over here in the US nor even heard of it until this thread. That said, similar projects with the US woolen military blanket are very popular.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE