Woo hoo....Just finished my first forged knife and I am well pleased..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Both the knife and sheath are looking good there Jon, top marks.

It must be a good feeling to create your own usable field knife, and that definitely looks like it'll be a user. I quite like that blackened 'just forged' kind of look rather than mirror polished (I don't know all the correct terminology for this sort of thing) and would be quite proud to have that hanging from my belt.

Good stuff :)

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
I really like that, very pleasing shape to it. If I recall correctly, bananas don't grow on proper trees, but on big plants (the largest herbaceous plants, according to Wikipedia). So I guess it's called banana wood for different reasons.
Mike

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thanks for the kind words guys...
I think banana wood is what the locals call it in India. It certainly isn't the tree that bananas grow on... Its quite a nice wood to use....

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
I know you said you made it to small but I made mine to fit nicely straight away and over a small ammount of time its lossened so im sure it'll ease up after a while. Better a tight fit that a loose one anyway. Always cut bigger if your unsure I think you can always trim a little bit off rather than having to use another bit all together. But a lovely well crafted tool

Good Job :)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I know you said you made it to small but I made mine to fit nicely straight away and over a small ammount of time its lossened so im sure it'll ease up after a while. Better a tight fit that a loose one anyway. Always cut bigger if your unsure I think you can always trim a little bit off rather than having to use another bit all together. But a lovely well crafted tool

Good Job :)

Cheers Mitch...The knife is fitting the sheath a lot better now, but it goes into the sheath too deep, so I may undoo all the stitching and cut the top a bit lower...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE