Woo hoo....Just finished my first forged knife and I am well pleased..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
This started as an old file. At the Cornwall meet we had Tristan with his mobile forge there and we all made things.. I decided to make a knife.. I hammered away for half a day making this...
CornwallRV2008012.jpg

I took it home and wondered what wood to use as scales.. I decided on Banana wood.. Well that is what I am told it is called. It is made from the pallets that Indian stone comes on.. It is quite a heavy wood and so I assumed it would be ok for a knife handle, but having filed and sanded it, it doesn't seem so tough after all...
I like to use materials what I have lying around, rather than buying something..
I could always change the scales if they are no good anyway....
I got the files out and filed it to a more pleasing and (to me) useful shape.
I stuck the scales on with araldite (sp..?) and the pins are from a 6" bolt that I found lying around.. It has been sanded down and oiled with boiled lindseed oil..
I love it, but it is quite heavy... The spine is 4mm thick...
Thoughts please, positive and negative...
plantssheepandknifefewbirdstoo042.jpg

plantssheepandknifefewbirdstoo039.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Good stuff Jon. I can imagine the sense of satisfaction and achievement you are feeling mate :beerchug:

Cheers Matt, I do feel chuffed with it, every part has taken me a lot of time and effort. It is hair poppingly sharp and feels good in my hand, though it is v heavy...
All I need now is a sheaf...

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice work fella, looks really good, great idea to use old materials to make something new, I like it.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nice work fella, looks really good, great idea to use old materials to make something new, I like it.

Cheers Simon.. Since making it I have found some (much harder) snake wood,, I had lying around, but I am pleased with the results that the banana wood has produced, so no regrets..

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Thats yours now mate dont underestimate that feeling.....ever
Thats a nice looking tool
I wish i was at that stage in skill
I like the wood as is
Nice one well done

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Cheers Simon.. Since making it I have found some (much harder) snake wood,, I had lying around, but I am pleased with the results that the banana wood has produced, so no regrets..

So you will be making another then?, I look forward to seeing it.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Very nice mate! - I would hope my first forged knife would be 1/2 as good as that and i'd be VERY chuffed! (not that there is much chance of me having a go though..... :( )

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
Hey John, thats a nice piece you have crafted there, you have put some work in since the last time i saw it, great stuff, you should be proud.

Adam.

hey Graham, maybe Tristan will be at the next meet at Smarty's next easter, perhaps you could come!

A

Alex.W

That knife looks so cool :cool: Its got a character of its own. Nice work.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thanks for the nice comments guys....
Andyn has some leather for me, so I will be doing a sheath for it somewhen. I am not very clued up on leather work, but I will get the photo's up when its all done...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Andyn sent me some leather and I have finally got around to making a sheath for my knife...
I was worried about starting, cutting the leather and all that incase it went wrong, but I followed a good tutorial from Maver and then added my own touch to it...
The leather thonging I used on the belt support, I was going to use for all the stitching, but it was not very strong, so I found some whipping thread we had lying around and used that instead... I ended up with this....
errsheathetc011648x486.jpg

errsheathetc012648x486.jpg

I have no special leather working tools, though I did borrow a hole punch from someone..I was going to use a drill, but the hole punch seemed to be better... All the cutting I did with my knife.. 4mm leather is quite tough...
I made a mistake of cutting the sheath too small, so the knife is a very tight fit, but I am hoping it will loosen with use...
I have no leather dyes so I just rubbed a load of dubbin into it. I hope this will be ok...?
Overall I am pleased with it, I just hope it loosens up so I can get the knife out easier....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE