Women adventurers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Rosie Swale-Pope
Nellie Bly
Christina Dodwell

For that matter I wonder how many of us here have done some fairly extensive travelling? I've hitch-hiked around Europe, sailed around the world, wandered around Brazil and New Zealand, for example.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That was really interesting.

Now I'm not a woman, but it has always puzzled me why most women that I know wouldn't dream of going camping for fear of being attacked in the woods, but those same women will quite happily go into a town centre on a friday night where there are lots of drunk and unpredictable people around. I know which one I consider to be safer. Give me the woods every time.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
That was really interesting.

Now I'm not a woman, but it has always puzzled me why most women that I know wouldn't dream of going camping for fear of being attacked in the woods, but those same women will quite happily go into a town centre on a friday night where there are lots of drunk and unpredictable people around. I know which one I consider to be safer. Give me the woods every time.

Used to go walking with a good friend(until my wife put a stop to it)& she was terrified of the woods after dark & no amount of reasoning on my part would convince her otherwise.

Rob

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suppose it may stretch the definition of "adventurer" a bit, but I always admired these women:

Amelia Earhart
Lottie Moon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The other problem is that women are taught to be afraid.

According to three generations of women in my family, the worst culprits for this are other women which is very sad. Certainly when my wife comes shooting, off road driving, tree felling, camping out etc. Its inevitable that more than one man will say "I wish my wife would come with me". Always sad that.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England

This, in spades. I have lost count of the number of people who have expressed horror that I am happy to walk alone in wild places. I've even had an official management order that I was not to walk to and from the office I was temping in across half a mile of fields rather than taking 2 buses through the middle of town, on the grounds that they "could not be liable for my safety." I asked if they thought there were crazed sheep hiding behind every tree but they didn't see the joke.

British Red, I agree with you, I have had far more women tell me that I should be afraid than I have men.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
[FONT=&amp]one of my favourites is GRANDMA GATEWOOD, the first woman to walk the Appalachian Trail in 1955 aged 67, she was a pioneer of ultra-light hiking and often carried little more than a blanket[/FONT] and walked in sneakers even back then.

Grandma Gatewood >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandma_Gatewood

grandma-gatewood.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, women are taught be afraid too...Ive never bought that. (But in the feminine line, Im a failure, and rather distrust women.)

a good book is `An Explorers Handbook` by Christina Dodwell.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
One such woman I was lucky enough to meet was Ellen MacArthur. What struck me most with her was the focus. There was no angles or expectation of people making allowances for her gender or waif like stature, she was going to be the fastest round the world single handed sailor. No quarter asked. I liked that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE