Woman's Sleeping Bag Recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi I'm trying to find a good 3 sleeping season bag for my girlfriend, hight 5'6'' it's got to be quite small when packed (has to fit in a 30 L pack) also going to use it with a Alpkit Hunka bivi bag if that help, looking at say a 100 pound budget, any advise most welcome.
Cheers for any replies in advance.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I suspect the MH lamina series might do the job. The newer models are coming in, so getting a O (at least it will build in extra warmth), or the Womans 20 might be within budget if you hunt around a bit. Some very decent reviews, and they are pretty light by synthetic standards. A 30L pack isn't very big for a synthetic 3-4 season bag though - a bigger rucksack might make life easier.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
What about the one often advertised at the top of the home page on this site.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/mou...tm_campaign=sleep15&utm_content=mountainghost

Alpkit temp rating gives specific reference to women, many sellers don't :rolleyes:.

Within budget (on offer), maybe money to spare for warm undies (no - not for you :p).

rorymax
Hi J, Hows things ?
I wouldn't mind that Mountain Ghost bag for myself, but not warm enough for the boss, the next model up in the Alpkit "henpecked;)" range is the Pipe dream 400 but that's a down bag, down is good stuff but not my first choice for an extended camping trip in Bonnie old Dreich Scotland.

If she wants a 3 season bag buy a 4 season one. Women feel the cold.

Hi Bushwacker
A -5 or -7 bag for spring and autumn "should be" plenty, I hope, I'm going to get her a Therm-A-Rest to, that should also make a good difference to the warmth of the bag, and aye, I've heard women tend to be hotter in bed:eek:.

I suspect the MH lamina series might do the job. The newer models are coming in, so getting a O (at least it will build in extra warmth), or the Womans 20 might be within budget if you hunt around a bit. Some very decent reviews, and they are pretty light by synthetic standards. A 30L pack isn't very big for a synthetic 3-4 season bag though - a bigger rucksack might make life easier.
Hi there.
It's neck and neck @ the moment with the MH Lamania, the ME Starlite III or the North Face Cat's Meow, Just looking around for other options in shorter bags "just trying drop the extra bulk a bit.
I should be doable in a 30L bag, I pack a 3 season -7 snugpak bag a 35l pack "just" mind you it takes me about 5 minuets of going psycho mental in the morning to get the bag locked down into the stuff sack.
PS As for a bigger pack, that would be me.:(

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Hi there.
It's neck and neck @ the moment with the MH Lamania, the ME Starlite III or the North Face Cat's Meow, Just looking around for other options in shorter bags "just trying drop the extra bulk a bit.
I should be doable in a 30L bag, I pack a 3 season -7 snugpak bag a 35l pack "just" mind you it takes me about 5 minuets of going psycho mental in the morning to get the bag locked down into the stuff sack.

I've had a Snugpak Osprey for quite some time, so I know the feeling! The MH looks good to me (if I can get a fantastic deal on one) simply because its lighter than the ME bag for the some temp rating. Alpkit do a decent range of mats as well, which would be a bit cheaper than Thermarest (I love my Classic, but I can't afford to replace it with something from them). Good luck with the quest.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Even a stood on/sat on/stamped on and strap compressed sleeping bag can still take up a lot of room (except those snugpack ones my son has) in a bergan.

I open my sleeping bags up and use them like a sack, lining the inside of the bergan with them. Everything else I'm taking then gets placed inside the sleeping bag. Works a treat with my bulky arctic bag!

Liam

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi
Just to let everyone know who's interested got my chick a Mountain HeardWear Lamina 35 today, a 2 season bag with a comfort lower limit of -0C , Extreme -16C, @ 1020g and a great pack size of 15x31cm , fits very snug in the bottom of her 30l pack but plenty space to spare in the pack, nice looking bag to, also bought a Alpkit Hunka which looks very good for the cash.
Cheers for all the replies and suggestion guys.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Hi
Just to let everyone know who's interested got my chick a Mountain HeardWear Lamina 35 today, a 2 season bag with a comfort lower limit of -0C , Extreme -16C, @ 1020g and a great pack size of 15x31cm , fits very snug in the bottom of her 30l pack but plenty space to spare in the pack, nice looking bag to, also bought a Alpkit Hunka which looks very good for the cash.
Cheers for all the replies and suggestion guys.

Excellent choice. I have the mens version of the same bag (I wanted a bigger bag, but not as warm, I also have the laminina 20).

It's worth knowing that the bag fits nicely in the Alpkit Airlok 8L dry bag. If you decide you want a warmer bag, I can recommend the laminnina 20 as well (fits in the alpit airlok 13l dry bag).

J

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Shape. What is the overall shape of your bag? I have two for different weather. Both are called "barrel-bags." Do you have those?
The middle of the bag is 6-8" wider than either the top ot the bottom. I tell you, it's like having 2 bags zipped together for the "wiggle" space.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
If she wants a 3 season bag buy a 4 season one. Women feel the cold.

So true! It is better to get her a bag that you think might be to warm. It will probably be perfect for her.
Greetings from a woman that just ordered a sleeping bag intended for -40 degrees.... (Celsius).

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So true! It is better to get her a bag that you think might be to warm. It will probably be perfect for her.
Greetings from a woman that just ordered a sleeping bag intended for -40 degrees.... (Celsius).

The difference between a Women's bag and a Men's bag is the temp rating. Typically men's bags are sold based on their T-Limit rating, and women's based on the T-Comfort rating. Take for example the Mountain hardware Laminina 35 and Lamina 35.

The Mens bag has T-Limit - 0°C, T-Comfort - 5°C. The Womens version has a T-Limit - -4°C, T-Comfort - 2°C. Both bags are sold as having a 35°F/2°C rating.

On the 20°F/-7°C Laminina 20 and Lamina 20, the ratings are T-Limit -12°C, T-Comfort -7°C or the women's, and T-Limit -7°C, T-Comfort -2°C.

In both cases both bags weigh the same, they achieve the extra performance by making the women's bag shorter.

I do wish people would stop using the whole seasons thing for measuring sleeping bags, it's a subjective measure of utter uselessness. We have a standard by which you can compare bags, lets use it.

Arya, OOI, what bag did you get for -40°C ?

J

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I am tired of freezing, so I decided to go for an "Isbjørn" bag, model: Jan Mayen, without zipper.
I will probably be fine in this bag even during summertime :lmao:

But I probably need a pulk, just to transport the bag... It is quite bulky and not excactly lightweight.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I am tired of freezing, so I decided to go for an "Isbjørn" bag, model: Jan Mayen, without zipper.
I will probably be fine in this bag even during summertime :lmao:

But I probably need a pulk, just to transport the bag... It is quite bulky and not excactly lightweight.

3kg, yeah, that's a biggen! In theory I can put my Laminina 20 inside my Lamina 35, to get something rated something around -15°C - -20°C. Tho that would still be a 2.5kg option.

One day when I have the money, I want to get a 3 bag set from PhD something that is comfortable at -40°C, but that I can use the individual bags in other combinations at warmer temps.

One day...

J

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Even a stood on/sat on/stamped on and strap compressed sleeping bag can still take up a lot of room (except those snugpack ones my son has) in a bergan.

I open my sleeping bags up and use them like a sack, lining the inside of the bergan with them. Everything else I'm taking then gets placed inside the sleeping bag. Works a treat with my bulky arctic bag!

Liam

Excellent choice. I have the mens version of the same bag (I wanted a bigger bag, but not as warm, I also have the laminina 20).

It's worth knowing that the bag fits nicely in the Alpkit Airlok 8L dry bag. If you decide you want a warmer bag, I can recommend the laminnina 20 as well (fits in the alpit airlok 13l dry bag).

J

Hi Folks
Keeping it as light as possible and saving space in her 30L bag was my main objective, I do like the Alpkit Airlok Xtra bags, just waiting for some to come back in stock, "I probably go for one of their smallest sleeping mats to".
Using the same psycho packing technique as above, I got the new MH bag into a 5L Exped Drybag and it still fits in horizontally along the bottom of the pack, (only just though).
The Alpkit Hunka bivi bag compresses down to nothing in a XXS 2L Karrimor dry bag.
Might even have enough space left over in there to hide away a brand new Mil-Tec Flecktarn J ;) Shhh...

Shape. What is the overall shape of your bag? I have two for different weather. Both are called "barrel-bags." Do you have those?
The middle of the bag is 6-8" wider than either the top ot the bottom. I tell you, it's like having 2 bags zipped together for the "wiggle" space.
Hi There.
The bag is sold as a Comfort Mummy Cut.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE