Wolves released in Ashridge?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
A friend of mine owns a piece of land up on the Highlands and was getting fed up with ramblers/campers/teenagers causing a nuisance so spread a rumour round a few pubs that he’d seen a pack of wolves sniffing around his chicken sheds. This was further backed up with a few Facebook posts of people also having seen the wolves.
It backfired on him as rather than keep people away it did quite the opposite when even more people flocked to the area to spot the Wolves!

he saw the funny side, and the local pub did such a good trade he didn’t have to buy a drink for years

Reactions: Erbswurst

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I know there has been talk of allowing wolves lynx and bears back into the British countryside, but as far as I'm aware, the rules so far is that they have to be fenced in if they are.
I do not think that they will ever just be released to roam free. Its illegal to release any of those animal species at the moment.
Sadly I think an April fool joke has caught you out if the article says it has actually happened.
Either that, or maybe an article discussing the possibilities of doing so.
I can't see farmers being happy about it at all, and I think they would be creating a massive stink!
Googling wild wolves in britain brings up nothing that I can find other than proposals.
I do know of a couple of wolf enclosures in the UK, but as I say they are heavily fenced and regulated as they are considered a dangerous animal.
If you do find any let us know. It could be an area to avoid wild camping in! Lovely thought though it is to be able to see wild wolves in Britain.
Wild boar are bad enough!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Well, people can live with all those big predators. We have brown bears, wolves, lynx, wolverines and a few wild boars on top. During all my years of walking in the woods I have seen a lot of bears tracks and some wolf tracks but that is all, a few years ago saw a lynx crossing the road about 100m in front of us. Just last week there was a wolf running around in the parks of Helsinki.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Finland has much much more wilderness than the UK, and is far less populated. Our towns and villages are expanding at a phenomenal rate, and you can barely be more than 10 miles max from a busy road or rail line.
Not realy an option here to be honest. Foxes in the garden are one thing, but bears lynx or wolves? We are not used to it, and the first child , or pet killed by such an animal,... and it will only be a matter of time, ...will bring it to an end, mark my words!
Wonderful idea, but britain has somewhat expanded in size of population and housing blocks since they were last at large in our lands. I can see massive conflict comming very quickly, and the public will not want wolves and bears in their towns villages and cities.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Well, people can live with all those big predators. We have brown bears, wolves, lynx, wolverines and a few wild boars on top. During all my years of walking in the woods I have seen a lot of bears tracks and some wolf tracks but that is all, a few years ago saw a lynx crossing the road about 100m in front of us. Just last week there was a wolf running around in the parks of Helsinki.

Population density Finland 19/sq km
Population density UK 259/sq km; England 430/sq km
Powys, where I live, around 25/sq km - maybe we could have wolves in Powys :)

But on the topic of the OP; it's an April fool joke

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Forgot one, lately we have had some Golden Jackals coming over the border. A few have been driven over so confirmed but very very rare.

Reactions: Erbswurst

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Pretty cool news, it looks like they are trying wild wolves in Ashridge.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Someone with a sense of humour, who doesn't like the recent tidal wave of new visitors to Ashridge, has tried to do something to persuade the towns folk to remain in town!

I thought to do something similar once, with signs warning of big cat sightings.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Someone with a sense of humour, who doesn't like the recent tidal wave of new visitors to Ashridge, has tried to do something to persuade the towns folk to remain in town!

I thought to do something similar once, with signs warning of big cat sightings.
That's more likely to attract people rather than keep 'em away....................closed car parks & lack of refreshment facilities will be more dissuasive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE