Wok cooking?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Anybody here use a wok? I'm interested in your experiences with a wok in a camp setting. What do you use? A cast iron wok? A hand hammered wok? A steel wok? How has it worked for you. If you don't personally use one, do you know somebody who does? How do you like it? I've used a hand hammered one at home on the stovetop and loved it but haven't taken one to the woods yet. Tell me anything you can and lets try to get a good thread going.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use a steel one. Mostly because it's lightweight yet a good material for this type of cooking.
It works very well indeed :approve: though I changed the lid for camping for one of the Ikea ones with fold down handles.

I'm vegetarian, I like stir fry, but the wok's good for cooking mushrooms, tofu, roasting oats and nuts and the like too.
I have one that's kept for meat and it's excellent for cooking thin strips (try venison or beef ham flash fried in butter with chilli and serve with rice or couscous) of meats. Brown meat and add a little liquid and cover and the wok makes a great job of chicken fillets (think curry), or just keep the chicken moving and it makes a really good quick roast chicken. Works on squirrel too I'm told.
It's great for a really quick omelettes :) and it works to make fresh egg fried rice if one of the microwave sachets is opened up and the contents stirred through, covered and allowed to finish cooking.

Basically, it's useful for frying, dry roasting, simmering and steaming.

On the down side, it's bulky to carry. Light though.

cheers,
Toddy

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
a wok also works really well as an oven if you turn it uspide down and heap embers on top of it, maybe not quite big enough for the christmas turkey but perfect for things like bannock

stuart

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I use a steel one. Mostly because it's lightweight yet a good material for this type of cooking.
It works very well indeed :approve: though I changed the lid for camping for one of the Ikea ones with fold down handles.

I'm vegetarian, I like stir fry, but the wok's good for cooking mushrooms, tofu, roasting oats and nuts and the like too.
I have one that's kept for meat and it's excellent for cooking thin strips (try venison or beef ham flash fried in butter with chilli and serve with rice or couscous) of meats. Brown meat and add a little liquid and cover and the wok makes a great job of chicken fillets (think curry), or just keep the chicken moving and it makes a really good quick roast chicken. Works on squirrel too I'm told.
It's great for a really quick omelettes :) and it works to make fresh egg fried rice if one of the microwave sachets is opened up and the contents stirred through, covered and allowed to finish cooking.

Basically, it's useful for frying, dry roasting, simmering and steaming.

On the down side, it's bulky to carry. Light though.

cheers,
Toddy

What about a simple boil of water? I was looking at a 9" (or 11") one, as it's freeze dried rations only in the field atm - but like some stir frying aswell for a change. A wok would make both (and more) possible in 1 item.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Wilko's do a lovely little 8" pressed steel job which, as you can see, fits a Lidl/Trangia clone stove like it was meant to. The handle is detachable which makes the wok a bit easier to pack.

WokBrekky.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE