Wobbly axe head

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have a Huqsvarna small scout hatchet and have noticed the head has developed a very small wobble, does this mean i have to get it re-handled? Are there any ways to fix it?

cheers

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I have a Huqsvarna small scout hatchet and have noticed the head has developed a very small wobble, does this mean i have to get it re-handled? Are there any ways to fix it?

cheers

, does this mean i have to get it re-handled?
cheers
Yes
Are there any ways to fix it?
cheers
Yes, see answer 1

Do you want to take the risk, Ok you can soak it over night and that will fix the wobble until the wood dries again , but the more it is soaked, the more the wood expands the more wobble you will have when the wood dries.
JMHO

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
If it is a very small wobble probably bo problem and fixable. Is it an old axe, has it lived outside? If not and the wood in the eye is solid and not rotted then it can be safely tightened by banging in one of those little metal wedges that you buy in DIY shops, probably called hammer wedges. If you know what you are doing you can do the same thing with a well seasoned cleft oak wedge. As Tadpole says don't soak in water, very temporary fix.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Its about 4 years old, not sure if its lived outiside (bought it second hand), its only a wobble of a few millimeters so ill try Robins fix above and see if that works

cheers

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I might suggest, in the first instance, soaking the head for several days in boiled linseed oil. It will penetrate, the wood will expand then harden. You might also double up with one of those little slivers of metal to bang in at an angle into the eye at the top of the axe. Failing that I think it might be a re-handle jobbie. However I found that with a very slight click/wobble this was solved by the former remedy.

However - some might disagree with my suggestion.:p

LBL

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Put a wedge in, and keeping the wood welltreated is allways a good idea.

I tend to drill a hole through the side of the axehead, some 1/3 from the handle end, and put a screw in it, thus keeping the head on at all times (unless you break the handle of course)
Has worked just fine many many years.
The screw thing i was taught by a viking-boat builder/logbuilder/man of a hundred crafts, so i suppose it should be a valid and well-proven moderation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE