WM1 revamp and leatherwork

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've thought for a while that most of what we, as bushcrafters do, and much of what I, as a Gamekeeper does, can be done perfectly well by a smaller bladed knife. Anything that needs a larger blade is catered for as I normally carry a billhook or axe. The problem is smaller knives also come with smaller handles and I wanted a full size handle.
I have had a black bladed WM1 kicking around for a couple of years. I originally bought as an option to take to Borneo in 2007 but it didn't go in the end. It's far too tactical for me as is now so I thought it would make a good donor blade.
I reprofiled the blade (I prefer a drop point/ spear point design) and then spoke to the best knife maker I know - ever - our very own C Claycomb:You_Rock_. I sent him the blade and after a great deal of advice/ consultation (and generally me being a pain) he put some wood on the end and gave it back to me at the moot.
I've been playing around with it and here's the result.
Firesteel handle made of an offcut from the knife handle
From this (black bladed version)
OriginalWM1.jpg

To this
Photo001.jpg

IMGP0053.jpg

IMGP0050.jpg

I showed my lad, he said he'd like to learn some sort of skill like that. I said I had to make a sheath so he could make something for his Mora at the same time.
Here's the result
IMGP0055.jpg

IMGP0056.jpg

The Mora sheath is all his own work
Excellent work for his first ever leatherwork project I think

Cheers

Mark

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep, that works :D :approve:

I know I find my WM1 to be incredibly useful, it's just right somehow.

Michael's work is excellent :cool: Very well done :D

cheers,
M

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I can't rember tbh
Le Prevo and the Identity store both do mail order and are very helpful on the phone

Mark

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
NIce work matey :)

The WM1 is my main using knife, I have a lovely customised one done by the very tallented Leon Andrews of Green Craft(see above). It ticks all the boxes for me if I'm carrying a saw and axe too, I just don't need anything bigger, and the blade shape is excellent for most tasks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE