Wiring a hood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I have a German goretex parka with a very large and floppy hood. I want to wire it so that I can actually see where I'm going. Can anyone tell me what would be a suitable wire to use?

Thanks

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have used the core from the house hold earth wire before, the thick stuff you use on plumbing, nice thickness i sanded the ends round so as not to poke through, though you could just bend them over by an inch or so.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have used the core from the house hold earth wire before, the thick stuff you use on plumbing, nice thickness i sanded the ends round so as not to poke through, though you could just bend them over by an inch or so.
I did this too, on a couple of different jackets- but folded the ends AND wrapped them in tape for security...dont want holes now do we!
I threaded the wire through the drawcord holes (tight fit with the tape) and made sure the wire was a bit longer than the avilable space between the cord eyelets, fitting into the slight space beyond the eyelets ..if you see what I mean....

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Heavy weight strimmer cord is a good one if you don't want to alter the shape, otherwise as Southey said, copper earth wire is a good one to use for shapeable support

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
thats what lead me to the copper of earth wire, its thick enough not to kink to badly but easy to bend and as yet hasn't snapped that's four years of wet weather wear, the wire i replaced was copper two, though what mix i wouldn't know.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Another vote for the copper wire. I've got a pile of it still covered in the rubbery plastic coating if you can't get hold of any. We were going to use it with marbles to make garden planter decorations.

cheers,
Toddy

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i've got some copper wire also from cable, also i have some really thick bonsai training wire, which tho copper coloured is alumminium. might give this a try.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE