Wireless routers!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Yep, I did that a couple of days ago.

I've brought up the Belkin user interface, set up a 64 bit WEP security key and Bob should be my uncle. Unfortunately he seems to be more of a confused aunt right now.

I have used belkins for years works great here..

1. There are many models of belkin you have a wireless card in you computer right ?
2. Is the card belkin or another brand ?
3. The fact that you can get to the internet via cable means the router and the modem is ok
4. I assume you are using windows ?
5. If you are check that the drivers are installed fy are or the card. and set up correctly.
6 If they are then remove the drivers remove the card and reboot
7. shutdown reinstall the card and reboot allow windows to pick up the card and install windows wireless not the one from the manufacture if you have both then it will conflict and fail.
8. Check you have selected the correct ssid and channel ?
9 failing all the above download an ubuntu live cd does it pick up the wireless card ?
10 if you get to this point and nothing works then a cricket bat might help ;)

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
Can`t he just create a new WEP key Dan ? I`ve not seen this particular router before so I don`t know.

I don't know. I was just going from experiance I'm not that techy just pretend to be.its just that I recognised the symptoms. I've always kept the wep key safe and saved in several locations for good measure - on a file on PC and also on a USB key.

I think squantril is right - if its ok with the cable its not the router thats the problem, its either the wep key (what I called md5 earlier) or its a problem with the wireless card.

But that I'm afraid is the limit of my knowledge:confused:

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I took the laptop and router to the local computer fixer chap. He fiddled with it and swore it worked for him. I got it home and it didn't work with the Belkin.
Another mate of mine from work ( thats at least two I've got!) has loaned me a Netgear one so I tried that ,,AND IT WORKS!!!! It didn't work last week so the computer fixer chap has done something for his cash.

My thanks to all of you that have offered your advice , especially to those of you that PM'd me. This is a friendly old place I've got to say.

Sean

ASLAN

Dec 1, 2008
Co Durham, UK
Being non techie I had a nightmare setting up a Belkin router with numerous phone calls to help desks. Turned out in the end I'd been sold the wrong router by PC World even though I'd given them all the correct information! Got the right one home and it worked straight off. Makes me terrified of changing things though incase I screw anything up.

Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
I got one free when i signed up to sky broadband and i was actually concerned about how east it was to setup! just followed instructions on a disk but it was basically plug in and go, never known a router set up to be so easy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE