WIP: Saami inspired wide belt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
Hi all
My latest ‘soft’ project is a saami inspired wide belt. These are traditionally worn by the saami people and nowadays also many snow mobile drivers.
These belts are often very colorful, the ones for festivities are also dressed in silver and tin.
The belts for everyday use are often black with red edges and decorated with silver/black/white and red grommets/rivets, like this one;
821999-rescaledpic-350x350.jpg

The belts can be up to 150 mm wide, maybe you are more of a man with a wider belt:D

I wanted one for my wool anorak/tuilik, described here;

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53014

but I wanted it in more muted, naturally oriented colors so I decided to make my own.
It will fit my waist with clothing from 90 cm up to 135 cm when I’m wearing lots of clothes.
The width will be 80 mm, a comfortable width I think. Big grommets at the edges so I can attach knives and such with ease and at different locations.

Here are some wip pics;
Cutting the leather, 140x80mm.
Saami_belt_001.jpg

The drawing with the cut leather. I’m using 3 mm veg tanned leather for this one.
Saami_belt_002.jpg

Belt with attached buckle, 40 mm wide.
Saami_belt_003.jpg

Here I have made all the holes for the grommets/rivets, I’ll use 4 and 7 mm ones.
Saami_belt_004.jpg

Close-up.
Saami_belt_005.jpg

This evening I’ve dyed the belt in two tones and been fiddling and testing how to put the grommets/rivets. I think it will be like this.
Saami_belt_006.jpg

And finally another close-up.
Saami_belt_007.jpg

Now I’ll have to treat the leather and fasten all the grommets/rivets (phew), but that’s another days work…

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it, and the dwarf comment made me laugh out loud:D Do I look like Gimli?
I have been out skiing a couple of hours this evening in the quite pleasant snow blizzard that hit us today. -8C, snow and hard winds. Both the anorak and the belt did an admirable job.
The belt is almost to 'flashy' or posh for my taste, maybe I'll make another one abit more toned down...
I'll take better pics this weekend when the sun's up.
Saami_belt_008.jpg

Saami_belt_009.jpg

Saami_belt_010.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Very neat - that is some mammoth project putting all those rivets in! :eek:

I like the colours too - muted and natural.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
More a cross between Gimli and Obi wan me thinks! lovely piece of work there, did the grommets and stud work take you long, you must have some patience mate...

Col

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
A thought is it lined? - all rivets I have used end up 'sharp' on the back and as that is next to your wool shirt would expect it to catch like crazy.

Then again they could be good quality rivets rather than the rubbish I have here....... :rolleyes:

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
Hehe, it's only like 180 grommets and rivets, it took about 3 hours to put them in - quite meditative work.

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
A thought is it lined? - all rivets I have used end up 'sharp' on the back and as that is next to your wool shirt would expect it to catch like crazy.

Then again they could be good quality rivets rather than the rubbish I have here....... :rolleyes:

No, it's not lined. I went over the backside of all grommets with a hammer after I had fastened them to be sure there were no sharp edges. So now they are smooooth...

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Ultra neat, and very dwarvish! You'll have to grow your beard long enough to tuck it into your belt! :D I really like it, it's nice!

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
Here comes some more pics:D
I spent last evening ageing the belt - it looked too new and the edges where too bright for my liking...
I (mis)treated it with sand paper, a knife and a wooden stick and finally I gave it an uneven hot wax treatment to darken it even more.
Now I'm very pleased with it!

Saami_belt_101.jpg

Saami_belt_102.jpg

Saami_belt_103.jpg

Saami_belt_104.jpg

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well, I finally got around to finishing the belt I mentioned so I thought I'd post a piccy up here.

Waylands_Belt.jpg

I've had the buckle for years, just waiting for the right project and the belt brings my mostly Saami style equipment together perfectly.

Thank you for the inspiration.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE