wip bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
top right in your first pic looks similar to what i was looking at, stabilised alder burl?
that curly redwood is stunning!
im not worried about square as have a bandsaw.
the sizes i need are somewhere over 125mm x 40mm and thick enough to cut into scales over 12mm thick as gives me something to play with when i cut it slightly wonky and need to flatten

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Now that I look closely, the block I have isn't that one, very like, same colour, same amount of pattern. Both were/are maple burl, not alder.
Might be a little thin for you. 138 x 45 x 26mm?

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
it is is indeed a hell of a stash! i may be able to cut it? my bandsaw is a cheap screwfix one, its almost impossible to get it to cut straight, i end up having to square it on the linisher and loose a couple mm. thick would liners help id guess?, i do like the woodlore with a thicker handle.

if you've any spare/for sale im happy to pay whatever your asking though funds are now limited to under £50 for a week or so till ive finished a few commissions
for the time being id be more than happy with just a couple bits

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
that would be great, thank you
if you have any of the curly redwood that you'de be willing to part with id love a chunk of that as well

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Liners would help. I am a little nervous at the thought of a wonky cut on a little bandsaw, but then my only alternative would be to try to hand saw it with a Japanese pull saw, which do cut pretty straight, smooth and thin...but if you want 12mm slabs there isn't a lot of room for error. If you have tapered the tang I can see why you want the extra wood. I find that 25mm thick grips work well too.

The hunk of natural box elder, slightly more yellow in colour than the maple, is a bit thicker, 134 x 41 x 30mm
Dyed box elder 133 x 40 x 27.5

The redwood is all over the place, size and quality wise, I would need to pick through it to find you bits of the right dimensions, with good pattern. One "problem" is that due to the mix of sap wood and heart wood, the colour is often different from one side of the block to the other. Sap wood seems to have soaked in the resin a little more. I haven't yet used any of the all heartwood pieces to know how they finish up. Should be good. The mixed bits I have polished have been incredible.

cascare

Dec 10, 2012
Cleasby
I'v never made a woodlore clone before as never really liked the look of them but recently thought would give one a go in 3mm o1.
have ordered some 4mm as well and will update as i go. the sheaths a bit of a prototype to see how it fits as may need to adjust the template a little?

View attachment 50975
Very nice, I would be very interested in seeing the finished product on this, and also very tempted to buy !! drool drool !!

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
thanks, they're not really for sale as more test knives, i have a standard heat treat method for o1 using the lower end of the austinitising temp, soak time and temper cycles which is secret but wanted to try something different again for one to see if it made any difference? there are actually six test blades in all, two having my standard treat.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
thank you to Chris for sending me some wood. im working on several other knives at the same time so progress may seem a bit slow.
managed to cut/square it and have it clamped up with some black fibre liners.

stabwood.JPG

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
after tapering the tang the scales are fixed, little bit of math needed to get the pins aligned as obviously the tang is no longer straight.
will leave it overnight to cure

bushhandle.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE