Winter tent suggestions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
A friend and I are planning a bit of winter camping and are in need of a tent that will allow the use of a small wood stove. Weight is an issue as we will be snowshoeing in to the site. Price is also an issue. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I'm afraid that you may have a tough time finding what you want with your listed requirements. If you are going to use a wood stove then a canvas tent designed for stove use is about the only option I know of.
While canvas is traditionally used with wood stoves, there are drawbacks, being: -canvas is heavy
-canvas tents are expensive.
How about pulling a small toboggan? That might take care of the weight issue. As far as cost goes, there's not much that can be done there unless you find a used tent for a reasonable price.

What about other tents used with modern fuel stoves like mountain climbers etc use? I have zero knowledge of the tents or stoves that they use but someone here will know I'm sure.

bearbait

I have one of these Arctic Oven tents. Very warm and spacious. When I use it with a stove I have small Four Dog stove - the Two Dog - and generally need to have the door partly open otherwise the tent gets way too warm when the stove is going well. However the tent is not backpackable but would probably be OK on a pulk or similar. Not cheap, and you'd have to import it from Alaska and pay import duties, etc. But build quality is excellent and they were good people to deal with.

On the stove front I guess you're thinking of/have got a collapsible stove or a Titanium stove?

Perhaps hiring a tent/stove combo from an outfitter might be an option?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Captain, you have people in Canada with far far more experience than the members here. I would look at some of the Canadian winter camping forums as these folk will have the experience and know of kit you can buy over there; pointless buying in the UK and then paying to ship it to Canada what with shipping costs and import duty.

You are not limited to canvas tents, the Arctic oven is not nor are tents like the Big Horn II. If there of two of you then take a small tent and good sleeping bags so sleep in and cook under a tarp... one option for you but look on the net in Canada for real hands on knowledge, folk out there have been doing it a lot longer than us lot on BCUK (broadly speaking). Good luck with the trip and let us know how you get on.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Wow, a bunch of info to pour over!! Thanks everyone for all your help. I will be sure to keep you all up to date with what we decide. For our back up plan I have one of these:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/Tents/4SeasonTents/PRD~5018-401/mec-lightfield-tent.jsp

Not much room for anything other than sleeping in it and we were hoping to ride out the weather in a bigger shelter and maybe do a little carving.

As for the stove, I am currently working on a flat pack design and will post up pick of its progress when I get a chance.

Thanks again to all of you!!

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Hey, it sounds like a great trip you have planned. Whereabouts are you going and how far in do you have to snowshoe?

Algonquin or Frontenac, still up in the air.....the locale is my friends responsibility.....im the equipment guy!! In the process of buying a tent from someone locally. Have not seen it yet and will post pics when I get some.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE