Winter Projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
If I get chance to go up my permission and have a work crew with me I hope to clear a few more spots for use.
I also hope to fell one tree and get some stools bowstaves and a shave horse out of it.
Indoors projects ive a few knives in various states of built I need to finish (or start)
I also want to practice my feather sticks a lot cause A I'm rubbish at em and B I'm hopefully doing a course where I reckon they'll be pretty important (more news on this if it comes through)

Course main project is as always jake :)

Built some old fashioned pheasant and partridge live catch traps with my students this week and over the next couple of months I'll be coppicing willow, making hurdles, rearing 500 quail, finishing off some fungi collecting baskets, Chinese Water Deer and Fallow cull and as much else as I can fit in.

Learning how to use a sewing machine and making a Toddy shirt.
Got a couple of blades to handle and sheath for when the weather turns if I can get a nice bit of yew for the Nessie.
Going to have a go at a couple more thumbsticks as the last stag one turned out better than expected and try and harvest a few shanks I've got my eye on in mid winter.
Any other free time available the long haired CO has a list of jobs for me as long as her arm :(.

Last edited:

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Handmade rope with my new (old) rope maker and lots of jute twine.

Continue to build my stock of purse nets.
Toddy bushshirt.
More sporrans and leather stuff.

Try making a fid with copper and wooden handle.

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
I have a Waney Edge coffee table to make for the inlaws Xmas present, some turning projects and Ray Mears new book to read.
plus I want to get a camp out every month through the winter, something I have not managed in previous years. I camped out in every month of the year but not all in one year.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Always like to make a few wreathes later in the year. Mostly just the same stuff I do all year :)

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
To be honset my winterprojects are more or less the same as last winter.
I will continue re-building my kit, searching for good bits'n pieces.
I have a shave horse and a saddlemakers wise on the go, hopefully I will get time to start to build those.
And of course theres a few leather and birch bark projects on the go.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I have some tools to restore and rehandle here. Also some Mora`s to rehandle, and some kuksas and spoos that I want to make.

Now that I read all the things others will do I got inspired to do other things as well. I will not be bored.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Looks like we will get a 3D Printer or Laser Cutter/Engraver for school. Would prefer a 3D Printer. So lots of wee projects !

Although just got some freecycled 1mm stainless sheet so may have a play about with a hobo/bush stove flatpack.

udamiano

On a new journey
Im going to make some snow shoes, my last pair (bought types, make of alu) died just before the Jokkmokk trip. I've got some patterns of the type i like. got an old steam wallpaper stripper and some metal waste pipes to make a steamer out off for bending the wood, just need to lock myself away in the shed now, and of course need some descent snow to try them out.

Buggane

Jul 30, 2012
Isle of Mann/ Liverpool
I'm underway with my tafl project. I'm currently playing the Ard Ri and Bran dubh. I got the clay today to start making the pieces, still working on the design but hopefully I can incorporate some chess ones too so I can have two different games. The board i'll be making when I go back home from uni after the 20th with the Tafl board on one side and a Chess on the other. I really want to put runes on the side that say something profound and relative to a strategy game so a bit of googling a reading history books is on the cards for me.

Other than that it's writing a dissertation :(

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
finish mary's shirt.
done a new full size stove for the lavvu pics to follow.
make a fire grill for clousten88
finish my hind cull
start a new stainless woodstove for backpacking.
finish my stainless larder
and i really must finish the picture frames for all my work last year as my wife is nagging me but i have far too many intersting things to do than that,atb wayne

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Inspired by you lot on here...
When I was in my early 20's I used to do all sorts of craft stuff including leather work.. When I am down at my mothers for Christmas I am going to look out my old tools. I know that 30 years of not doing any saddle stitching is going to hurt but looking forward to some new projects

Falcn

Mar 1, 2013
Dinnington
Another compact parang handle (maybe the knife handle to go with it)
Folding bow saw and and centre thwart combo
Sailing rig for my open canoe

oh and a motorised time lapse panning rail for my gopro camera

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE