Winter Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Hi all

What kit do you take for a night out in the winter ?

The reason I ask is because I am off for a night out and I think I only have the stuff I really need to take, but it still seems like a lot as it only just goes in an infantry bergan. Half of the main sack of the bergan is taken up by my winter sleeping bag which is ex military issue as I can't afford a better one at the moment.

I carry
Sleeping Bag (takes up half of the main sack)
Hammock
Tarp
Cold weather jacket
Full weather proofs
Hat and gloves
2 headlights and spare batteries
Food, tea and sugar etc
Small gas cooker (just in case I have to stop somewhere I can't light a fire)
Crusader Billy set
Washing up kit
Spare socks
Cup, kfs
Knife & saw
2 Litres of water
First aid kit

So what do you all carry for winter and how much space does it take up

Regards

Phill

Traper

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Poland
I don't see any sleeping mat on your list. You will need it. You should also consider underblanket. Or leave the hammock and sleep on the ground.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I forgot to put the mat on my list but I do carry one as a matter of course.

Sorry guys I should have realised this would already have been covered.

I'll have a hunt around via the search facility and find the threads

Cheers

Phill

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Why do you need two headlamps and surely in this weather you'd be wearing your weatherproofs.
In my bergan I carry:-
hammock
tarp
hammock sleeping bag
16 cm billy containing:-Trangia kettle,tatonka burner set ,dish for eating,spork,cup and brew kit
1 10 inch frying pan with detachable handle
waterproof jacket and trousers
socks and pants
4 litres of water
food for two meals and variuos snacks
first aid kit
sewing kit
axe
small+large knife
torch
Fire starting kit
Hand wash+wet wipes
And thats about it,it all fits nicely into a berghous vulcan but I use the side pockets as this stops it all being crammed into the main compartment.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
For this weekend I shall be mainly using ....

Sabre 75
3x3m Tarp
Hammock
Underblanket
Doss bag
Billy can
Knife (on person), saw & axe
FAK & hand sanitiser
Change of base layers
Spare socks
Food & brew kit
Mug & spork
Torch & cyalume stick
Firelighting kit on person
Hat, gloves & headover

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
didn't want to sound rude (although I usually do, our languages are a bit different in that aspect).

I can comment a bit on winter kit without repeating lists. Winter for me can be a lot of different things, I have hiked on foot and on skis in very different setting during winter so for me there is a lot of variability in what kit I use. A whole lot actually (skiing on spitzbergen is a lot colder than winter hiking in my local woods...).

So it can be anything from skis, pulk (or ski sleigh as you might call it), sleeping mat+reindeer fur, down jacket, expedition class sleeping bag and expedition multifuel stove down to bare ground winter stuff covering backpack, tarp, -15 sleeping bag, iceland sweater and ordinary open fire pot.

Headlamp, I only use one, but in winter I prefer separate battery pack inside my jacket. Gives a lot more light per gram battery. This can be easily be done by modifying an ordinary no-name cheap headlamp. I used to have a black diamond thing, quite expensive with a built-in spare battery. However it went bonkers and the model had expired so I got the money back. Didn't bother to buy a new one, bought a cheap job and converted it, used audio cable connectors and shrink tubes and made a few chargeable bat-packs instead of fiddling around with ordinary batteries. Might try lithium some day, parallel coupled these would give a lot of light I think.

Gas cookers absolutely suck in freezing temps. Hate them. Even meths will outrate the gas in those conditions (keep the burner warm and safe inside your jacket or in a pocket and you will be alright).

I rarely use wet weather gear in winter. No need if it's going to be below zero really. Windproof cotton outrates membranes in this kind of climate.

I don't carry water, spare a litre or so in a thermos. No need to, I can drink most water around here and if there's snow, your basically surrounded by water (if you have planned that in your fuel/time budget). Also, ice is usually very hard to get out of a bottle or camelbak.

Unless made of down or a lofty type, I seldom carry a spare jacket. To heavy, better with a bigger shell and some thick middle layer. Although a spare jacket with some weather protection will let you dry out your walking jacket.

A small sitting mat (can be made by slicing up a sleeping mat) is quite nice to have in your leg pocket. Saves the unstrapping and strapping of the sleeping mat during breaks.

If I'm traveling where there is trees and it's allowed to make a fire I prefer to carry an axe during winter. saves a lot of work and is easier to work with gloves than a knife and a baton, which can be quite tiring if your planning to have a fire during night. A lot of people claim it to be risky using heavy cutting tools with gloves. Well, these people have a thing or two to learn about cold weather. Never saw anybody of the forest workers around here taking of there mitts to fell a tree or limb a pine... Think them chukchis take of their gloves? Damn straight they don't!

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Rik, might you be better of with the mats the other way round so as to avoid punctures in the inflatable one?

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
If the snow's deep enough to warrant snowshoes, I pull my gear on a sled and include a small canvas tent with a stove jack, titanium stove, shovel, axe and saw. I can only cover about five miles a day, but the camps are very comfortable.

IMG_4466.jpg

IMG_4468.jpg

The wife doesn't appreciate snow Iike I do, however:

IMG_4448.jpg

If the waterways aren't frozen, the whole tribe goes by freighter canoe, and we live really well:

IMG_0565_1.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

Sometimes the dog pulls a load, as well as providing extra warmth at night. If we could only harness the methane:

IMG_0953_2.jpg

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
If the snow's deep enough to warrant snowshoes, I pull my gear on a sled and include a small canvas tent with a stove jack, titanium stove, shovel, axe and saw. I can only cover about five miles a day, but the camps are very comfortable.

IMG_4466.jpg

IMG_4468.jpg

The wife doesn't appreciate snow Iike I do, however:

IMG_4448.jpg

If the waterways aren't frozen, the whole tribe goes by freighter canoe, and we live really well:

IMG_0565_1.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

Sometimes the dog pulls a load, as well as providing extra warmth at night. If we could only harness the methane:

IMG_0953_2.jpg

That's what dogs are for - to take the blame:lmao:

Nice pictures

Canalvoyageur

Aug 4, 2008
Staffordshire
Hi terrific pics of your wife and children, and the one of the young boy in the canoe, I really do like to see family together whether it be camping or canoeing, thank you for sharing with us.
Regards Bill

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
wow great pics, Bet u had a hell of a tym.

About winter kit, well don't forget a fleece, and a warm jacket water/windproof jacket.

oh and most importantly a suitable sleeping bag!!!

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I tend to wear a T shirt, Norgie shirt and fleece and only wear my weatherproofs if it's windy or raining and I carry a military issue softie jacket in my pack which is supposed to keep you warm down to minus 5 on it's own and it has been treated to be weather resistant as well.

Hopefully, these should keep me warm.

Oblio, those are some really good pictures you have there. I can't wait until my son comes out with me and I can get some pictures of him in the country.

Phill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE