Winter foraging on an estury

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
I hope you have enough time for foraging as well as this pc training there is a meet coming soon and Im expecting a few samples to try Ive already skinned and jointed a couple of pheasants today and Im expecting you to provide an eustuary salad :lmao: or samphire hotpot :lmao:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Here's something I've started putting together. There's more fish species to come on this and I'll be doing a bit more on shellfish. There's a fair bit coming so it may be better in instalments, when I've got time to write it up

Seashore foraging guide

This is a short guide to foraging and fishing for food around the coast of Britain although you may find some species present in other parts of Europe and the Atlantic coast. It is intended to deal only with Fish, Crustaceans, Molluscs and Seaweeds and not coastal plants. It is not intended as a tactics and rigs guide for fishing although some information on this may be included where appropriate

Fish

Many species of fish are present season specifically around our coasts and migrate to spawn or depart/arrive our shores for other reasons such as the liking of specific species for temperature of the water, availability of food or water salinity.
Here is a list of fish that you can expect to be able to catch in Britain from the shore with the season they are most likely to be present, and preference for type of ground and food/bait. There are particular types of traces/ rig set ups that work best for some fish and the best methods for fishing are indicated for species where the rig can make a big difference to your catch. No license is required to sea fish in the UK however some harbours impose restrictions. The list is not exhaustive and includes the species you are most likely to catch from the shore.

COD – Probably one of our most familiar species to most people Classic ‘fish and chips’ prefers fast tides so best chances are on big spring tides when the water is coloured brown and the sea is rough. (‘Spring’ meaning when there is a new or full moon. Not to do with the seasons. ‘Neap’ meaning when the tide is at it’s lowest when a quarter or 3 quarter moon occurs) Cast just beyond where the surf starts to build. Cod have very large mouths so don’t be frightened to use a large hook and bait of lug or rag worm tipped off with shellfish. Mussels and razor fish are good. Crab is also good for Cod and squid will also catch. Autumn and especially winter are the best times. Some parts of the country have a spring ‘Cod run’ such as the Bristol channel. Likes surf beaches and rougher ground. Cod will also take feathers.

FLOUNDER – Flatfish – Likes entering estuaries as the tide comes in and browsing for food over sandy bottoms and shellfish beds. Likes to eat molluscs, crab, but rag and lug worm are also effective as are a bunch of shrimps. Cast your line over shellfish beds as the tide comes in and high tide or throw out a handline and leave for a while or pull in very slowly Fish in channels of estuaries at low water. Flounder hang around our shores pretty much all year round. Aberdeen hook long shank for worm baits with some coloured beads will help attract the inquisitive Flounder to your bait.

WHITING – Start coming inshore during the Autumn from late September and stay right throughout Autumn until early winter. Prefers sandy or shingle bottoms but can also be caught from the rocks. Best baits are rag and lug worms but tipping with another bait such as the oily herring or mackerel which acts as a good scent trail. Using these oily fish as bait enhancers are a good tactic for many species. The Whiting was wind dried in Scotland and can be preserved for a short time using this method.

BASS – Are mainly a summer visitor and will turn up between Spring when they start breeding around March, and late Autumn when they depart our waters for warmer ones. School Bass, which are young Bass (schoolies) like estuaries and you can often catch them there. Sometimes in only a few feet of water. The bigger specimens can be caught on surf beaches, reefs and sheltered inlets. I have also caught small school bass from the Harbour. Bass feed best as the tide is coming in and will take sandeel, peeler crab (which they especially like) mackerel fillet, rag and lug worm and mussels. They will also chase lures and Bass lures are available from tackle shops. Abu do a large range of lures and the German sprat type cebar lure is also effective, as is the dexter wedge.

MACKEREL – Who hasn’t been on a mackerel fishing trip whilst on holiday? Great fun for the kids!
Mackerel are around from spring throughout the summer, and into autumn Mackerel ‘go off’ very quickly, especially if it’s hot. This is because of the oiliness of the fish, so you should gut and cook them as soon as you can after catching them. They also lose a bit of there flavour when frozen. They are a delicious fish and swim in large shoals off the shore. Try some with gooseberry sauce a traditional English dish. Mackerel can be smoked easily and taste delicious this way. Mackerel fishing can be done with feathers which have 4 – 6 feathers on each trace. You can get silver ‘feathers’ too which reflect in the sunshine and attract the fish. Feathers work because when wet they resemble small sandeels which Mackerel also eat. You can also try spinning for Mackerel with a small spinner. When using feathers you need to ‘work’ the feathers by the sink and draw method of fishing – Pulling the rod back behind you fairly sharply (draw) and then reeling in the slack line as you bring the rod back in front of you (the feathers will sink as you do this) keep repeating until you’ve wound in the line all the way and cast again and repeat. It’s not unusual to catch a Mackerel on each feather (6) all in one go!. Also if feathers arn't working try float fishing with a strip of squid for bait, But please remember they go bad very quickly so only take what you need as with all fishing. Light spinning rods and small reels are tremendous fun when fishing for these sporting fish.

BALLAN WRASSE – Can be caught from the rocks using a sea or pike float. Or legering a 2 hook paternoster. I personally have never eaten Wrasse but have caught a fair few. They do eat them on the continent. Alan Davidson in his excellent book North Atlantic Seafood recommends frying, grilling or poaching and serving them ‘sweet and sour’ The markets of Normandy sell them often, so I suppose they can’t be all that bad. Wrasse are an easy fish to catch if you’re in the right place and good fun. They are around our shores from May onwards throughout the summer into Autumn and feed quite happily even on hot sunny days. Fishing from the rocks and piers are the best places for Wrasse. They fight hard and are great fun to catch. Lugworm and peeler crab are good baits so are mussels. Lift the tip of your rod up periodically if float fishing in a calm sea to help induce bites.

POUTING – Another fish that I havn’t tried but is said to edible but not that great to eat which is a surprise because they are a member of the Cod family.
They ‘go off’ quickly so again you’ll need to cook them quickly. Frying maybe the best bet. Pouting are easy to catch and can be caught from piers, jetties and sandy shores and a lot of youngsters catch them whilst on holiday. Pouting will take just about any bait but worms and mackerel strip are good.

POLLACK - are also in the cod family and quite tasty. I have fond memories of catching Pollack from the pier in Exmouth. From jetties or shore you can expect to catch Pollock to around the 1 – 2lb mark.

Tips

• Use elastic thread to tie your bait on with especially when using baits that will fall off the hook easily whilst casting. No need for knots, just wrap it round tightly several times and it should hold.
• Carry a set of nail clippers on some cord around your neck. They’re great for trimming line and much safer than a knife in slippery fish/bait covered hands
• A good sharp set of scissors is great for cutting up baits and safer
• When spinning move up and down the shore to cover more ground. Cast over rocks and at the edges of kelp beds.
• If no crab baits are available use mussels as they emit a similar scent
• Check the area you’ll be fishing at low tide to establish what type of ground you’ll be fishing over and spot any potential snags
• Thread worms onto the point of the hook just below the head and up the shank, leaving some tail off the hook to waggle and attract fish.

• Don’t throw away the heads, bones and skin of the fish. Use them to make a lovely fish soup or stock. You can also add prawn or shrimp heads or any waste from crabs (not the dead mans fingers) etc and strain through muslin when cooked after about 40 minutes to an hour. Add some noodles and mussels or limpets to the soup and you have a delicious meal

More to come soon on other fish species and shellfish foraging and bait location and digging / collection. Also some cooking ideas for fish and shellfish.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Please dont forget there are size limits on all fish/crabs and even some shell fish check with the local fisheries officer /harbour office you can get a nasty fine if you are caught with undersized fish also some harbour/areas will not allow you to catch bass from a boat in a designated area to conserve stocks

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Fallingrain, that was excellent you've really inspired me - I'll have to go and see if I can wrangle a borrow of my dad's beach fishing gear (he used to go a lot), or better yet, persuade him to come along and show me the ropes. Ilan, thanks for the reminder on catch size, I've just been looking up a contact addy for our local Fisheries Officer.

Thanks to both of you for that.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
i only had a quick glance through this as i cant swim and dont intend to explore my nearest estuary [severn].years ago i had a food for free type book for the seashore.it was quite informative .one good tip was making a type of harpoon/spear out of a broom handle and a 6"nail.for crabs and flat fish.apologise if this has already been repeated

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Sounds interesting moocher, can you remember who wrote It?

You're right, care does have to be taken when wandering around such places. Without sounding like I'm trying to teach anyone what they already know as common sense, if you're heading off somewhere remote it's worth checking the weather before you set & having a good idea of the tide times (plus telling someone where you are & what time you should return).

I always try to have one eye on the tide, and the other on the terrain if I'm foraging over squishy bits. It's not recommended to stray too far if you're not totally familiar with a location & it's always worth having a sturdy stick with you to test the ground.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
sorry chicken i dont,i got rid of it about 10 years ago when i lost interest,i found it in a 2nd hand book store,it was a paperback about the size of the old enid blyton secret seven/famous five books.a blueish cover ,never seen one again.it covered shellfish/seaweed or the way to small conger that get stuck in the rockpools.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE