Winter foraging on an estury

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Although I'd dearly love to move to somewhere a bit more rural, I have come to recognise the diversity of habitats we have at our disposal locally and one of these is the esturies of the Medway and Thames. At the end of the summer I sampled our local marsh samphire and also experimented with pickling it (raw cooked or pickled it's delicious!) so prompted by a conversation on another forum which reminded me of this, yesterday we went down onto the marshes to see what's about.

Found rosehips, many of which are still nice and firm, sloes (pretty much wrinkled and a bit past it but useful for cooking perhaps), hawthorn berries (which can make a lovely jelly & at the right time of year can be plump, sweet, and quite nice to nibble) masses of sea beet (a favourite green veg. of mine - much nicer than spinach), gorse flowers, yarrow, fennel, and sea purslane. I'm experimenting with wild teas or tisanes so I collected some rosehips, yarrow, fennel and gorse flowers, a generous pile of sea beet and some sea purslane which I'd not tried before.

Sea purslane is a funny unprepossessing marsh plant with oval grey green leaves that have a matt texture which where we are seems to like growing in the mixed grassy scrub just around the high water line. I guess it's occasionally submerged, as it often has bits of dry seaweed clinging to it. You may find it's a bit fiddly picking off the largest and best of these leaves, but when you do find a good spot there are certainly plenty to be had and as I discovered when I cooked them, really well worth the effort put in as they're quite delicious! (Raw, they are slightly crunchy and mildy salty).

If you can find some and fancy trying it gather as many as you can (a couple of handfuls per person is good if it's a side veg), picking only the largest & cleanest. Bring them home and sort to remove any odd debris that has sneaked into the bag, them wash them well in some nice cold water a couple of times to make sure they're really clean and not gritty and to remove any old seaweed clinging to them. Then you can steam them lightly - I use a sieve and spread the leaves in a thinnish layer in it then cover with a lid and steam gently for about 10 minutes (depends on how many leaves you have to steam, but you want them evenly cooked through).

They go a deep but quite bright green when they're ready. Turn out into a buttered serving dish, add another generous knob of butter, some freshly ground black pepper to taste and a light squeeze of lemon juice. Fabulous!! I didn't have any to try it with, but I bet it'd be great alongside a fresh poached salmon fillet served with some new potatoes. Hmmmmmmmmm.

I'm definitely going back for more. :D

The teas were interesting. I quite liked the yarrow tea, which I found mildly aromatic, but there may not have been enough leaves as I found the flavour too weak to descibe. Will try that one again but pick a larger quantity. (Just a note - Yarrow has some qualities that might affect some people - it's not to be used too frequently or in too much quantity. Also, there are some who've documented it's psycotropic effects, esp. when linked to alcohol so read up on it first and decide for yourselves if you're temped to try it)

Gorseflowers steeped make the water a lovely golden colour. It smells a little acrid (might not be quite the right choice of word, I may have to think of another that sums it up) and it has dry, slightly bitter overtones so some might want to sweeten it slightly. I think it may be quite good in a blend with something that has very sweet notes so I'll work on it. also I had dried the flowers for use, so next time I may try fresh ones to see if there's any discernable difference.

Fennel. Well I already love fennel's anniseed aroma and flavour so it was a favourite, but to get the best of it bruise the young leaves gently before steeping and don't leave them in too long. Very nice to sip though and I think it'd be a good drink for the summertime.

Rosehip. I dried the hips after de-seeding and chopping the flesh lightly. If you just use a tea ball it can take quite a while for the flavour to develop & your tisane can get a bit cold, so I think I future I'll follow a suggestion I saw elsewhere of placing the hips into a pan of boiling water and simmering them for a few minutes to get the fullest flavour. If you like the taste of rosehips (and I do), it's a nice refreshing drink. I don't sweeten mine, but honey could be added if preferred. I will also try this with fresh hips to see what difference it makes to the brew. I think I may also try blending it with the gorse - but I'll get back to you on that.

Quantities of fresh ingredients were approx 2 tablespoons or enough to fill a good sized tea ball. Dry ingredinets where mentioned = 1 tablespoon.

Happy New Year all.

Edited once to correct some embarassingly god awful spelling! :rolleyes: ;)

Nov 16, 2006
Lyme Regis Dorset
Thank you chicken for your post on purslane, I will definately give it a try!! On the teas, I have always loved yarrow tea, best to use buds or flowers when available, never had any adverse effects, it's also great for stopping bleeding cuts!! Fennel is great mixed with a little Lemon Balm which is quite common in herb gardens and sometimes grows wild as an escapee.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did I found it really tasty :)

With the yarrow, I was using leaves for my brew (kinda like it suggests here )

As to the (ahem) 'interesting' side effects of it's use there's a couple of snippets in these articles about it

Effects on the liver

Effects on the mind :eek:

Not that I recommend anyone try that last one, of course ;) . But it's useful to know when you're experimenting with booze and herbal mixtures!

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Born in Woolwich, so more sarf London I suppose!

Anyway, you watch your step or next meet I'll come loaded up with lots of bushtucker for you to try. ;)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Great post Chickenofthewoods. :You_Rock_ Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge. Exactly the type of post I come here for. Skills/knowledge instead of kit. Not having a go at the kit folks by the way. Everyone comes here for different reasons. :grouphug:

I love estuary/beach foraging too, and also for the protein side of things, mussels, winkles, cockles, razor fish, limpets etc and I collect my own lug, rag worms and sandeels, peeler crabs and shellfish for bait for my fishing. I'm down in Devon fishing the Exe estuary for flounder and plaice in January. Can't wait :) (I've been looking forward to my fishing trip more than Christmas :rolleyes: )
I'll do an in depth write up of estuary foraging, from my own experiences, where to look, how and when to gather etc when I have some time, if anyone is interested.

Nice one COTW's

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Excellant post chickenofthewoods. I has reminded me that wild foods are privilage not a right.

I love samphire, it is one of the most delicious plants I have ever eaten. Gorse flowers are nice with honey. The gorse flowers in pembrokeshire smell of coconut and make better smelling tisanes. I have never eaten sea purslane, I have eaten pink purslane as salad though. I dont think I have ever eaten sea beet either.

You are so privilaged you have a wetland you can forage from. My nearest estury are the Dee and Mersey. The whole area is wall to wall chemical plants, it makes canvey island look like the garden of eden. The links you have posted show there is a use for people who are prepared to turn themselves into chemical dumps, but eating bullrushes from runcorn is a waste of a good liver.

My new food for the month is going to be japanease knotweed shoots. Tried them out last year taste like rubarb. You have to change your footware before leaving the area where you harvest and burn what you dont use.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
:eek: I actually feel quite humble now, thanks guys. It's why I come here too, to read about what others are doing and to learn from their experiences. You're right, whatever I may think of what the local authorities are doing to our environment there's still a lot to enjoy and it is a privilage to have access to it.

Really looking forward to hearing about your seashore/estury foraging falling rain - my next trip will be hunting the local winkle and checking out the seaweed so if you have any pointers to share please let me know!

I've done some research on knotweed xylaria and for me it's a bit of a difficult plant because of that ability to regenerate from even tiny scraps of tisue :(

(I freely admit I've been avoiding trying it beause of that - it's basically a biohazard & the difficulties in controlling once it gets into the environment scare the willies out of me :eek: )

But you've reminded me that it is indeed edible and so I might be tempted to give it a go and I'll definitely follow your guidelines for harvesting and using it responsibly if I do.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that's an inspiring read :You_Rock_

I love sea and saltmarsh veggies, and it's always interesting to hear what other folks find, and when it's worth a looksee. :cool:

Cheers,
Toddy

I love estuary/beach foraging too, and also for the protein side of things, mussels, winkles, cockles, razor fish, limpets etc and I collect my own lug, rag worms and sandeels, peeler crabs and shellfish for bait for my fishing. I'm down in Devon fishing the Exe estuary for flounder and plaice in January. Can't wait :) (I've been looking forward to my fishing trip more than Christmas :rolleyes: )
I'll do an in depth write up of estuary foraging, from my own experiences, where to look, how and when to gather etc when I have some time, if anyone is interested.

Happy New Year all!...Can;t wait for your write up...I was at the beach (not the UK though, Netherlands) a few days and have dug up half of it looking for cockles. Found none... I also asked some old fishermen and they all said they didn't know of cockles found under the sand as my books tell me. There were lots of cockleshells on the sand.
Is the dutch coast so different from the UK ones that cockles don't like it on the beaches here or did I just look in the wrong places for them? I have been everywhere between high and low water and have mostly dug about 10 cm deep. The beach was just nice and sandy/muddy. I didn't find razors either...

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Hi Deiderick, Happy New Year to you too. :D

Weird that you found no live cockles, if there are empty shells about the little devils must be hiding somewhere! Likewise razor shells :confused: I would have thought that the Netherlands' low lying esturies would have ideal conditons to be packed with shellfish. Where do the wading birds hang out? Maybe they could give you a clue - or look for the little spoil heaps they leave behind as they burrow down?

I've not been shellfish hunting locally as our conditions aren't right (the mud's too dangerous to mess about on - our best local shellfish harvest would be winkles). Other more useful shorelines are some distance away :( on the other hand, at some point we ought to be getting down to Camber Sands which seems to be alive with them and I might try the old salt trick and see what pops up. :)

Do please share you experiences, I'd definitely be interested to read them!

Dear Chickenofthewoods,
I am not often at the seashore, so I have not many experiences yet. However, I hope to meet an expert in 'wild' seafood in springtime, so i'll let you know. By the way, do you know E.Gibbon's 'stalking the blue-eyed scallop'? It's a great book about wild seafoods, unfortunately focused on the US.
Diederik

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
One of several wildfood titles by him, I gather. :D

I know of it, but haven't read it or his other works, and admit I've been avoiding them mainly on account of their being American. That's not to say that they aren't good, but I prefer English works to refer to because of the differences in flora and fauna.

I really ought to see if I can borrow a copy one day. The US does seem to have produced a vast variety of books on the subject, I think it must be thanks the hidden 'Frontiersman' buried deep inside every American's soul!

Have the Dutch any great tradition of wild food harvesting/foraging? I've been having corresponding with an Italian lady recently and they still seem (rather like the French with their famous ceps and girolles) to have a strong and lively tradition to tap into. Whereas, here the habit of gathering wild foods seems to swing in and out of fashion and we seem to have lost something of ourselves in the process. :(

Can't wait to hear about your springtime seashore forage. :D

'No' is the only answer I can give. I do a bit of gathering myself and people look at me very strangely. Only the berries, hazelnuts and chestnuts are 'accepted' wild foods here. It is an advantage though, because there's no competition.
Gibbons is absolutely great, I ve never read a book on this subject that came close to his. He lived for a couple of years 'beachcombing' in Hawai (?) and wrote a book about that too (beachcomber's handbook). But my favorite is 'stalking the wild asparagus'. It contains many plants and recepies that are possible to use here.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
From your enthusiasm for them I'll have to make more of an effort to find some of his books I think! :)

You're right about the competition - at the moment foraging in the UK is going through one if its fashionable 'upswings' - while I think that in many ways this is a good thing (hoping that people will come to understand and respect their environment and what it has to offer a little more perhaps), there is also a small amount of disquiet because our media does have a tendency to try and quantify wild food as a slightly exotic, expensive luxury item - the product of which is that some people have viewed it as a way of making themselves a fast profit, and considerations such as harvesting responsibly don't appear to feature very highly to them.

But that's just a personal opinion of mine. :rolleyes:

Reactions: xylaria

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
chickenofthewoods said:
You're right about the competition - at the moment foraging in the UK is going through one if its fashionable 'upswings' - while I think that in many ways this is a good thing (hoping that people will come to understand and respect their environment and what it has to offer a little more perhaps), there is also a small amount of disquiet because our media does have a tendency to try and quantify wild food as a slightly exotic, expensive luxury item - the product of which is that some people have viewed it as a way of making themselves a fast profit, and considerations such as harvesting responsibly don't appear to feature very highly to them.

But that's just a personal opinion of mine. :rolleyes:

Well said!!!

I normally would write a long reply at this point but you said it all :notworthy

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Diederik Pomstra said:

Happy New Year all!...Can;t wait for your write up...I was at the beach (not the UK though, Netherlands) a few days and have dug up half of it looking for cockles. Found none... I also asked some old fishermen and they all said they didn't know of cockles found under the sand as my books tell me. There were lots of cockleshells on the sand.
Is the dutch coast so different from the UK ones that cockles don't like it on the beaches here or did I just look in the wrong places for them? I have been everywhere between high and low water and have mostly dug about 10 cm deep. The beach was just nice and sandy/muddy. I didn't find razors either...

Well I've a fair bit to write going on my own experiences only though. I'm not an estuary ecologist or anything like that, but have spent a fair bit of time digging and collecting various shellfish. Is it possible to write in 'Word' and then paste on here or attach in some way ?

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Yes, you could easily write your text alter & edit it in word (or notepad or whatever it's called) and then using your cursor, highlight the text* you want to copy into a reply box here. Go up to the toolbar at the top of the window and click on 'edit', then scroll down the list to 'copy' and click again.

Then open the thread you'e posting to on BCUK & click the post reply box. Once you've done that, make sure the cursor is active in the top left corner and go back up to the toolbar edit button. This time you'll scroll down & click 'paste' which will attach your highlighted text into the reply box.

Finally, check it over and make sure you're satisfied with the result, alter/edit or type in anything extra as you see fit and then post it as you would a normal message (you can always preview to double check that it's all ok, I usually do if I'm posting links so I can make sure they're working properly).

Sorry if that's teaching you to suck eggs. If not, hope it helps! :D

*position the cursor next to the block of text you want to copy, left click and drag it over the whole piece. It should highlight blue with white lettering - let go of the left button when you've got the block of text you want. That's now highlighted and will stay that way unless you accidentally left click at any time before you copy it.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
TESTING TO SEE IF IT WORKS, AS I’VE TRIED THIS BEFORE AND IT DIDN’T.

Oh.... it seems to work now. The above I typed in word and pasted. I'm sure I've tried this before and it didn't work. :confused: I am a bit of a knacker on PC's though :eek:

I'll start typing this up and post as soon as I can. Maybe a few weeks though as I'm currently finishing my bucksaw and going fishing for a week soon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE