Winter Camps - memories of a kinder time...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kanukkarhu

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2012
Western Canada
...like last year when it wasn't -31C (-43C windchill).

A subforum for sub zero? This is my kind of place! I hope I've got the right idea for this forum. If this better belongs elsewhere, perhaps a mod could move it for me?

But speaking of sub zero... It's been SO cold here in my part of Canada, that I've not been able (well, willing, really) to go out alone. And for me, that means I don't get out much. It's been so cold that the suspension on vehicles can break, and the shocks don't work so well. Things and people alike are hit hard, and animals, well, it's hard on them too. Birds only come to the feeder during highest sun (and don't even show up some days), and it's rare to see deer out and about at all. Nothing's moving out in the bush right now.

To cheer myself up, I'm hitting the forums a bit more than usual, and I thought I'd try to give something back. I hope you take a look at some past winter shots. I'll attempt to make it slightly more interesting by prattling on about some of the things I've learned about cold weather outings. Any questions are welcome.

Tripods are great in the winter when the earth is too frozen to plant sticks. Plus it's easier than freezing or balancing a stick to hang your pot from. (New pot initiation. Very impressed with it thus far.)

Discovering the parcel hook on my SAKenstein is great for cold hands touching hot pot bails.

Last year I tried this esbit type stove. It was too cold for these wee little tabs to heat my water, so I had to supplement with twigs. This year, I moved up to a firebox.

Before the firebox, I did make an IKEA hobo stove, and it worked OK (as did the old can trick), but wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Bad weather moving in on the Canadian prairies. Time to get home. (If, BTW, you were staying out on this day, and by the time this pic was taken you hadn't got your fire and shelter squared away, I'd say you'd be in for a very rough night, indeed.)

Skunks around here generally don't sleep on top of fence posts... unless they're um, well, dead. (I've NO idea how that got there...)

Heat the stick before you make bush bannock.

Fetch along lots of T paper and keep it high and dry! (My daughter's boots, BTW. Just sayin'.)

Thanks for looking. Hope it was MILDY interesting...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful, but oh, that's hard living.

It's 9.7degC outside here tonight, wind's blowing up a good storm and it's pouring, again! very warm indeed.

Thing with snow is that even in short daylight, it is light; the Sun is a stranger to us at this time of year, so that when we do get snow we delight in it.

Your photos remind us of getting out and cold and dry instead of sodden wet and muddy up past the tops of our boots. We don't get your continental type cold, and what we do get rarely lasts longer than a few days. It's exceptional when a weather system leaves us with snow for weeks.

I hope your weather gentles a bit for you, thank you for sharing the photos :cool:
I can see a lot of the Sub-Zero crew casting covetous eyes over a trip to Canada :D

cheers,
Toddy

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Very interesting read. Thanks very much for sharing. I would love to visit Canada one day in the not so distant future but this year I think it will be California to visit the wife's family.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....It's 9.7degC outside here tonight, wind's blowing up a good storm and it's pouring, again! very warm indeed....

Ironic isn't it? Here in NW Florida (the Sunshine State) it's supposed to get down to about -9c tonight. And it's been raining here as well. Rain mind you, not snow or sleet even though it's well below freezing.

kanukkarhu

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2012
Western Canada
Very interesting read. Thanks very much for sharing. I would love to visit Canada one day in the not so distant future but this year I think it will be California to visit the wife's family.
Hahahaha! Now THAT'S a wise choice this winter. ;) I LOVED California in March! And thanks for the comment.

I don't know how to 'multi quote' on here, but re: Toddy's comments - You're spot on. It is, really and truly, a dry cold. It's a sort of joke around here, because it's so cold that metal-type stuff sticks to bare hands and exposed skins freezes in about 5 minutes, but it is dry, and you can dress for it. It's actually quite nice. I once lived in Nova Scotia (which is more like the weather you describe, I should think) and it was damp. I would take our current 'brutish' cold over a damp 1C any day, all day.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It's always nice to hear from folks from away. I've a few more pics, and perhaps I could toss a few in once in a while?

ATB

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Canada has always been on my 'go to' list of countries; now, it has moved up to near the top of the list.  Thanks for your post.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Excellent and interesting post. The UK has had continuous rain and high winds, so flooding everywhere, whilst Canada appears to have had ice storms. There seems to be a lot of weather about at the moment :rolleyes:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Lovely pics Kanukkarhu. :)

I'm not alone in being a bit envious of all the deep cold you've been getting over the pond, although with the windchill it's less than pleasant.

Please post away, I can't get enough of Canada.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE