Winter camp Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
Hi guys I am planning a winter camp before christmas and wondered if any one who has camped in the winter could give me some advice/tips please?

I have a DD hammock that I like am I best to sleep in the hammock? or tent? OR by the fire?

Any tips advice is greatly appreciated

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
With the weather due this weekend, I'd pick tent, and plenty of insuluation underneath the sleeping bag. I'm going to Loch Trool this weekend; i'm not so much bothered about the rain but more the high winds forecast.

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
Am i best with a smaller tent for heat wise? I have a couple one huge one small.Nothing special like just cheepos. And insulation would a self inflating mat be ideal or need something better?

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Possibly the smaller tent for retaining your body heat; does it have an inner tent as these will be warmer than a single skin. I've never had much luck with self inflating mats. I'm going to use a hiking airbed for comfort with a foam mat on top for the insulation. I will be cheating as I'm using my lavvu and wood stove; toasty warm :)

rg598

Native
All set ups will work if you have them set up properly. There are plenty of guys who stay out in winter in hammocks, and all other variants. You have to make sure you have sufficient insulation. If you are in a hammock, make sure you use an underquilt; if you go with a tent, have a sleeping pad with winter rating, and a properly rated sleeping bag. Condensation will be an issue, so try to make sure your bag or quilt does not touch the sides of your tent or tarp.

Do you have any more specific concerns?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'd stick with a tent. In fact, if you've not winter camped before I'd put the trip on hold until you've been on winter trips with others and are sure of you equipment and judgement.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Matey,
I'd go with Rik on this one. winter camping in Scotland can be pretty tough. we may not have major sub zero temp like scandinavia or north America but when conditions turn up there, it can be pretty hairy. Of course, it depends where a bouts you are. A lowland wood, plenty of fire wood, safe pitch etc, you can be very comfy.
i assume you've never done any winter camping before. If this is right, i would really recommend going with an experienced camper for your first time. Saying that, if you do fancy venturing out, make sure you don't go too far from your car or somewhere you can easily bug out to. take plenty of warm clothes and food and fuel. Navigation equipment and the knowledge to use it accurately and, of course letting folk know where you are and when you"re due back (been several haggis attacks already this year :rolleyes: ).
Have fun and stay warm

Baggins

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Winter camping can be more fun. Just start by going out for one night. Till you feel comfortable with the kit you have used or not used.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
First winter camping, consisted of army sleeping bag plus bivvy and old 58 poncho. Insulation and a hot water bottle, are good things to have.Good luck

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Wnter clothing, plenty. Lots of food and fuel. I would recommend a tent. And a good sheltered spot. I have a mountain tent with snow valences which you can peg out too. If you have a tent like that, it's amazingly warmer. Although you get more condensation by morning. The inner tent temperature is much higher than the outside temp.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a good site, and it has some things that really make even the most miserable weather easy to camp in. The staff are very friendly and helpful; the site is their home.
It's a lovely bit of the world; the entire forested hillside is part of the site. For the 'domestic' bit of camping, the fees aren't extortionate, there's hot water freely available 24/7 and so are the showers :D They have free internet access, secure boxes to charge your phone, and there's a hot coffee maker too :) The site is on the bus route from Crieff to Comrie and car parking is good and next to the main camp field.
Basically you can take a load of kit along to try it out, both your tent and your hammock, iimmc.
They allow open fires, preferably in the firebowls, and there's a chute up for shelter with a good fireplace underneath.
The small shop carries a range of foodstuffs....think corner shop prices; they have to buy in small quantities, rather than supermarket bargains, so you can get things like eggs and tinned things if necessary.

If you really want away on your own with no facilities near by then there's plenty of forest up hill.
It's not wilderness/wilderness, but it's a well recommended site :) and if you're up for wandering it'll keep you happily occupied. Fair bit of wildlife around too.

atb,
Toddy

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
i would go with the big tent - this time of year theres a reasonable chance youre going to be sitting in it listening to the wind and rain outside!

the most important things are probably the rating of your bag/ sleep mat. oh and warm/ waterproof clothes. - personally i'd pick a site with woods that gives the opportunity of getting a fire going with a cheapie tarp to shelter you while you sit round it.

anyway unless youre going somewhere up a mountain the worst that will happen is a cold sleepless night

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
also - one of these really helps damp wood burn!

244158-Quickfire-Firelog.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE