Windscreen - advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Hi all

I’m in the market for a lightweight but sturdy windscreen to use in conjuction with a alcoholstove and the multifuelstove shown below. The windscreen I use now is this one of Primus:
C7687B82-9012-4382-AF29-FD2A7A0AA9FC.jpeg
After 4 years it is about to break in two pieces because of it being folded over and over again.

I am now looking for something in the same style but a bit more rigid. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Note: I tried the harmonica-screens before, don’t really like those...

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
When I opened the Optimus Multifuel box, I thought it was a part of the packaging. Was shocked when I realized it was the wind shield.
A proper POS design and product.

Will follow this thread with interest.
The only idea I have is to fabricate one from Al sheets,

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I asked exactly this question in a BCUK thread some months ago.
I had just bought a Coleman 533 petrol pressure stove for cold weather cooking.
Fairly obvious that I'd need a substantial windscreen.
The collective answer was a folded aluminum sheet windscreen.

Fast forward: I discovered that I already owned one, in the same pack as my cartridge butane stove!.
Set up the screen, very solid anchorage. I want to add strip tails so I can hold it down with rocks.
Pump up the stove then put it in the windscreen and light it.

That screen is not as effective as I'd like it. Still a lot of turbulence around the stove.
Decades ago, I recall some big biscuit tins, maybe 8" x 8" x 16" ????
The most famous of big-shot mountaineers had camp pictures
with the pressure stoves in the cut-away faces of those biscuit tins.
I buy olive oil in 3-liter tin cans, they are 1/2 to volume that I think might be useful but hell to wash out.

That's it. I have no better ideas for anything to use in the wide open spaces.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Sounds like you need to go to one of those stores that sell in large packs, to religious families.
CostUless? You know which ones.
They have regiment size tins.
Of course, you will be forced to eat the content for the next two years, unless you decide to use it as Bear and Deer bait!

I personally need a foldable screen.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Frankly, I'll be better off with some sort of a 3-sided affair made of 1/4" plywood or even mahogany doorskin.
No reason to care if it gets a little toasty-cooked. Car camping, weight is not a concern.
I can't imagine eating several kg of store-bought cookies. Enough to make the Ravens puke.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I have used a cut-up very large disposable thick-foil Turkey cooking tray (I think it was from Poundland).
Big enough to go around my gas stove, bit did eventually start to crack on the folds, and when it 'fell' onto the pan, the heat from the flames actually burnt thru' it.

I ended up using a 10-Panel, x 9.5" high 'concertina' type which has pins to push into the ground to keep it stable.

£3.75 UK supplier on Ebay.

s-l500.jpg

Reactions: Robson Valley

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I bought a titanium foil one from eBay, light as and so far hasn't split. It's a noisy bugger to unfold and refold but does the job.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I recently got a pocket woodburning stove that came with a windscreen made of fireproof felt.
it's supported by thin wire pegs that push through it and hold it up.
I've not tried it out yet, but the concept seems sound

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Years ago I bought a pack of 4 foil baking tray , rectangular ones, from a supermarket. Fit home to find out the lady on the tills and me hadn't realised there were two packs stuck together. I made various shapes and sizes of windshields and reflectors / bases for a few stoves of different types. I could experiment with designs since I had a few free trays!

Double up the layers you can get a stiff shield. The offcuts can be used for stability feet/pegging points and for various other uses and features. All cost a quid too!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I have used a cut-up very large disposable thick-foil Turkey cooking tray (I think it was from Poundland).
Big enough to go around my gas stove, bit did eventually start to crack on the folds, and when it 'fell' onto the pan, the heat from the flames actually burnt thru' it.

I ended up using a 10-Panel, x 9.5" high 'concertina' type which has pins to push into the ground to keep it stable.

£3.75 UK supplier on Ebay.

s-l500.jpg
You could buy that or you could buy this one from solo shoves for 25 quid

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solo-Stove...PO/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345017535752&psc=1

I like the folders, just not this type, I've had the pins fall out before on one tried a different hinge type, if that is the ops reason for not liking them. Cut mine down to 6 inches so it is smaller ety.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
This place is geologically so recent (post glacial) that we don't have much "soil" to anchor anything.
Rock, gravel, sand, some clay, unsorted glacial moraine crap.
I need something that I can pile rocks on, no shortage of those.
I think if I can add canvas web strap tabs/tails to the folding windscreen,
I can stick it down by loading rocks on those.

Reactions: Ruud

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The Al foil is a fairly good idea, but the supplied ’shield’ is a thin Al foil, so that idea is a dud.
Replacing with the like ( same life span) is stupid.
( imho)

I like the idea with a fireproof fabric,
Does it fold without braking?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My windshield is an old cover for a heater I found chucked out.

Basicaly a big sheet 3 sides. But that is for car camping. it goes inside my kitchen box, though bulky the other bits slot inside.

For mobile camping one of those folding ones is possibly the best.

Only a few quid...one wonders how long it would take to recoup your investment in saved fuel.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I wonder if you could make one from stainless steel foil (Knufoil, for example) and Rockwool, if yo can get it thin enough.

Two sheets of metal foil with a smaller sheet of rockwool in between, maybe leave about an inch of foil beyond the edge of the Rockwool.

Fold the edges of the metal over each other to make a kind of envelope, sealing the Rockwool inside. This could be rolled around some other kit, like billy cans, rather than folding it.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
This is what I use on my solo brew set. Piece of thin brass sheet. Very light and sturdy too. Wraps around pot so does not get creases causing fatigue...

Attachments

• 2019-07-18 12.23.28.jpg
    2019-07-18 12.23.28.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 2019-07-18 12.24.24.jpg
    2019-07-18 12.24.24.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 23

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The MSR aluminium windscreen is heroically tough and long lasting. But failing that I'd just buy a turkey tray as suggested

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE