Windfalls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
Stupid question - There is an apple tree in a garden along my dog walking route, and quite a few apples have fallen onto the public footpath (ie not in the garden) - can I gather them legally? Or should I ask the home owners' permission?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You're free to collect windfalls if they've landed in your garden but I'm not sure if it's the same on public land. Having said that, I doubt anyone would complain were you to collect them.

Were you to ask the owner you may well get an invite to go pick them direct from the tree :)

R-Tron 3108

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
As the tree is not grown wild, the laws regarding flora and fauna do not apply. The tree is the property of another.
That being said, anything that falls onto public land and would otherwise rot could be picked up without a serious challenge. After all, you would be providing a public service by preventing the spples from rotting down snd causing a slip hazard.
In relation to personal and commercial use, these topics only realy rear their heads in Police Sgts exams. Common sense and the public interest generally prevail.

Fluffydave

Jan 29, 2014
Croydon, Uk
You're legally ok to pick them up (for reasons others mentioned above) but I'd ask the owner anyway, just because it's good manners. Unless I couldn't easily work out who the owner was.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE