Windbound with Warthog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I promised Russell (Warthog1981) that we would get out for a trip over the New Year holidays. As we had done Loch Lomond from Balmaha the last time it seemed sensible to do it from the Luss side this time. After all he had still to see the wallabies ;)

luss.jpg

James O'Connor was meeting us at the oput in to come out for the day.

Getting to the put in was a bit of a problem as the Erskine Bridge was closed due to high winds. This of course concerned us as it meant it may be too windy to go out.

When we got to the put in it did not look as bad as I was expecting. James was concerned that the weather was outside his comfort zone. We took a short paddle, unloaded, to assess the conditions. After this I James decided that as he was solo and had to make it back to the cars it was not a good idea for him to go. Russel and I being tandem and staying longer decide it was would be okay for us.

So of we set, with James watching from the shore to make sure we made it round the first island.

windywarthog1.jpg

We headed round the south end of Inchtavannach and round into the straits. Here we could see how high the water was from the normal.

windywarthog2.jpg

Coming to the north of the straits we could see how rough the weather really was.

windywarthog3.jpg

Luckily we had no ned to go round that way or through those waves. Of course that did not stop us taking a wee paddle through it for a bit of fun :rolleyes: I did give Russell the choice but I think he underestimated the waves before he said yet :)

We landed on Inchconnachan to have a look at the boathouse. It has been well and truely vandalised. Every windo smashed and trashed inside.

windywarthog4.jpg

We paddled round to the bay on the south side of Inchconnachan to look for a sheltered camp site. At first we thought we had company as there was a tent pitched in a spot I have used before but it was an abandend camp site, complete with toilet SMbanghead

windywarthog5.jpg

It turned out that this spot was not as sheltered as we wanted. Witht he high winds and more forecast we wanted as sheltered as possable. The other side of the bay from the tent turned out to be ideal.

We got the hammocks and tarps set up ready for the night.

windywarthog8.jpg

We gathered some fire wood for the night. It was hard to find any dry wood. There was no shortage of wood though as the high winds had brought down a lot of trees. Stripping the wet outer layer from the wood gave us a much less smoky fire.

windywarthog6.jpg

I had brought a haggis with me so for the first night we had haggis and mashed potatoes.

During the night it rained on and off. We found our set up had two slight flaws. One was water was pooling on Russels tarp. Being true bushcrafters we followed the axiom of using materials you find in the natural habitat to build your shelter SMwhistle

windywarthog7.jpg

The other problem was I was getting a slight drip from my tarp ridge. this was sorted by turning my tarp ad the application of some duct tape ;)

Friday turned out to be far more windy that Thursday. We had a very short paddle but never left the bay. Most of the day was spent exploring our island and bumping into wildlife.

First we saw a Capercaillie then of course a sighting of Skippy, the first of many.

windywarthog9.jpg

During the night the wallabies got really close but the flash from the camera was not really up to lighting them up enough.

Also during the day we saw a large white buck Fallow Deer. Russell trying to get a picture.

windywarthog11.jpg

The second night was also windier than before and we were getting concerned that we would not be able to get home on Saturday as planned. However, as day broke the wind had died right down and it looked as if it was going to be an easy paddle back. Of course as we were breaking camp the rain started :rolleyes:

As we were breaking camp a couple of sea kayaks appeared and came over for a chat. It turns out that they are regular lurkers on the site and also paddle the island often. The last time they were ther JimH had been at the islands (still waiting for the blogg Jim ;) ) While we chatted the sun came out SMbirthday but the wind picked up slightly :rolleyes:

Anyway all loaded up it was time to set off.

windywarthog10.jpg

Once we set off again the rain stopped and the wind stayed at a reasonable level.

Reactions: Toddy

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Great pictures John. Made me long for my next canoe trip. However, I thought it was me who carried too much gear. I think you must come a close second. Last year we went to Loch Sheil for 10 days with all our camping gear, food for the trip for ourselves and the 3 dogs we had with us. That was some paddle! :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Great write up and photos :D

I've kayaked Loch Lomond in a gale :eek: scary how fast the water gets really *big*.
Just offshore from Malarakey bay a catamaran literally flipped right over with the wind and capsized. I didn't think it was possible but when I told my dad he said he'd seen one do the same on Loch Lomond years before. As lochs go it can be beautiful and challenging too.

atb,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE