Wind shield for gas stove advice please

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Even a light wind will rob the heat from the pot, any stove in all but still conditions will need a windshield to avoid excessive fuel use.

Kitchen foil in multiple layers works well, is light and cheap. ATM, I'm using the ally foil that came with my primus stove. Tent pegs or sticks poked into the ground will support the foil in stronger winds. ;)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I got this for my fire maple stove, cut it down as its a remote feed type. If I'd known I'd of cut up a ally baking tray as mentioned above, its exactly the same stuff.

$(KGrHqV,!hME1fu!iu80BNcM7lT,Gw~~_1.JPG

Link

mholland

Jan 3, 2013
cheltenham

rg598

Native
I carry a windshield made out of regular tin foil, but I haven't used it in a while. The guys are right that the stove will be more efficient with a windshield, but I have been managing just fine without it.

That being said, it looks like you got a canister mounted stove. Make sure any windscreen you use doesn't go all the way down to the ground because it can overheat the canister.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Bpl-uk has a gd design for a myog shield with can top stoves. It is a caldera cone type that hooks to pot to hang down but only to just below burner. The pot lid still fits and you don't surround the canuster overheating it but still get the efficienxy of the cone. Use foil tray as it's cheap.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Primus sell a nice shield that works well for a tenner. Fits to base of burner surrounding the burner and lower part of put but not the canister. Then packs round the canister, inside the pot well in some at least.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Paul B makes a very important point. For a burner on (gas) cylinder/canister stove, the windscreen should be around the burner (and pot) but not the butane/propane cylinder. Overheating the cylinder is extremely dangerous. The pressure increase inside the cylinder can be dramatic if heat is reflected from the total cover windscreen and can lead to the cylinder rupturing, followed by a fireball which will burn everybody within a few feet; severely. If you want to see what a camping cylinder fireball looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrlNblPZN0

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a primus clip on wind shield... as long as your stove arms extend to above the level of the wind shield I cannot recommend it enough, it's a brilliant bit of kit and so simple.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
No it's not, but whoever is stirring a pot over a canister stove that ruptures is going ro spend a long time in a burns unit - if they are lucky. I've never seen a canister rupture, but I have been present when an optimus white gas stove overheated and popped its safety valve. The jet of flame went up a few feet and scared the hell out of everybody in camp. Fortunately, no one was badly burned, but that was pure luck. Since then I make damned sure that fuel containers do not overheat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE