Wind direction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I have trained myself ,telling which direction the wind is blowing on my face, if the wind speed is to feeble I would use plucked grass of ground dust & failing that stike a match, blow it out (if not blown out by the wind ) & watch the direction of the smoke, a lighter too by looking at the flame.( not ideal if your tracking I know) your could carry little pieces of paper with you or watch the animals as they will generally have their noses to the wind. I did once see someone use a small downy feather attached by a thin thread to a small stick, the stick was held horizontally.You could also carry a little container of dry wood ash & sprinkle some in the air. but I think the best is to use what you have around you at the time.
Sometimes of course it's impossible as the wind comes from every direction at once( especially in stormy weather), but in these conditions animals tend to stay undercover. If they can't use their noses or ears & every leaf, twig & bush is a swaying......... makes them nervous.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE