Wind direction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 3, 2011
London
Hi all,

What is a good method for determining wind direction, to be used when tracking animals? Talc doesn't seem stealthy enough, wetting my lips is not sensitive enough when I do this. I pull out a hair as this works. But is there an easier method suitable for short-haired folks.

I apologise if I have missed a thread on this subject somewhere on the forum.

Thanks

Germander.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
I have always just stuck a finger in my mouth, held it up to the air above my head. You will detect a very slight drop in temperature on one side, that is the side where the wind is coming from. This works even in the gentlest of air movement, it does become a bit less effective if the ambient temperature is warmer.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
You can use the tie from a trash bag.
Sewing thread with a few down feathers at the end.
Wetting the cheek is more sensitive than finger but the above is more convenient and allows to test for air movement closer to the ground too.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
I have always used ground litter (no not coke cans and fag packets). Dependent on the time of year and where you are, I use anything such as a crunched up leaf or bark, dry grass or moss. just pick it up making sure that what you choose is as dry and light and as bitty (rip up the moss) as possible and chuck it as high as you can in the air. Whichever way it moves is your wind direction. Usually if it is dry grass or crunched up dry leaf it will detect the smallest amounts of air movement. You are also using only natural elements. That said, if you are stalking quarry, you don't want to be jumping up in the air and waving your arms around when you launch your debris ;)

Cheers

Sack

May 3, 2011
London
Thanks everyone.

I have been practising and in this dry weather, grabbing a handful of dust is working well (south-southwesterly all afternoon). I will play around with other objects and methods suggested.

Thanks again.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The small down feather (fluffy pillow feather) on fine sewing thread is very reliable and yes talc is ok but I wonder if the animals can smell it?

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I have always just stuck a finger in my mouth, held it up to the air above my head. You will detect a very slight drop in temperature on one side, that is the side where the wind is coming from. This works even in the gentlest of air movement, it does become a bit less effective if the ambient temperature is warmer.

same for me here.... :)

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I tend to use a small squeezy bottle filled with fine wood ash, it seems to work or perhaps a head mounted weather vane would look more astheticly pleasing?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I tend to use a small squeezy bottle filled with fine wood ash, it seems to work or perhaps a head mounted weather vane would look more astheticly pleasing?

hat.jpg

May 3, 2011
London
Love the hat! LOL

Interesting point about the talc. I can smell talc but not myself or others who make the effort to go unnoticed, but no doubt we stink from an animal's point of view, whatever we do.

I won't be carrying talc though. I prefer to travel light and it makes me SNEEZE. :p

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Another point to consider is that many of the whitening washing powders have chemicals in them that make your clothing glow practically luminous to many animals and birds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE