Wind and Sea.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Most Saturdays i go to the same quite bay for a walk and a brew,for the last 5 days now weve been having quite bad gales but today was the worse so far,the weather looks really nice but the wind was so strong,and cold my face(only bit exposed) went numb.The first pic was taken 2 days ago and even though it was very windy the sea wasnt to bad,

smybols007.jpg

it was taken on the same bit of shore line about half a mile from where i went as usual today, in the end once i got there i couldnt even get to my usual bit(nice flat rock for sitting on and shelter for my brew kit) because it was under water,which ive never seen before in the last 2yrs of going,

this is looking out to sea the waves in the fore ground are only about 100yrds from shore and although its hard to tell in the picture they were id guess at least 10-15ft high,

bigumwave015.jpg

Usualy theres approx a 40ft strip of pebbles exposed at high tide to get round to my seat, today it was down to 3ft the rest being under water, i got round to get a pic or 2 then back round quickly getting wet in the process.
bigumwave023-1.jpg

where you can see the high point of the spray is about 40ft or so and only last week birds where nesting there(not anymore)

last pic is of me looking down from about half way up the cliff, not very bushcrafty i know but does show the power of nature,and how quick things can change.
bigumwave041.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Great photos :D

I've got some of my sons as little boys clambering about on the rocks in Gamrie Bay and the same rocks three hours later with spray 40 foot high roaring up over them. Scary stuff the power of the sea :cool:

atb,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cracking pics Andy

I can sit and watch rough seas with as much joy as watching a fire, there's something quite therapeutic about it.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
:) I've been asked by people, "What do you do all alone out on the deep ocean?"
And the usual answer is," I have to navigate, cook, sleep or tend the sails, but sometimes I just watch the sea"..That last comment always brings on the strange looks..:D But I see that at least some people here know what I mean. Great photos Andy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE