Willow punk.....fierce

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Eyup folks....did a quick search....couldn't find a reference using tapatalk. So here goes....

Out n about today mooching some willow wetlands. After bein in awe of all the horse hoof fungi and others,
95fee03d-2d86-3dd6.jpg

I spotted some willow punkwood inside a split fallen tree. After breaking a chunk off , I gave it a shower of sparks....caught first strike , and after some blowing.....
95fee03d-2e6d-848c.jpg

Fierce !
So I took a chunk home and started playing....into the pestle &mortor....
95fee03d-2f37-c155.jpg

Quick shower of sparks produced a nice little ember....
95fee03d-2faf-4739.jpg

The dust and small bits bind together an makes it transferable ...
95fedb3d-3026-3a43.jpg

Which means in its powdered form , I can pack a fast lighting tinder that gives plenty of heat to drop onto a second stage tinder or a fine kindle...

I also read in a thread abaht using a blender for tinder. I couldn't help misen, so while SWMBO was in bath..... I accidentally ;) dropped some birch bark into the blender..
95fee03d-31b8-aff1.jpg

Transferred it to a tin , added a shower of sparks....and....woof...
95fee03d-32b0-7a2f.jpg

Loge I thank you

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao: :D

Brilliant :) I think I'll see if there's anything similar on any of our fallen willows :cool:

What she doesn't know won't harm her :rolleyes: (that's transferable to Him, iimmc) :eek:

cheers,
M

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Cheers all :thumbup: I like how shredded bark , packed inside a roll of bark , makes a fierce lighter....

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
just wondering what did you do with that big fungus on the tree.? mixed punk wood with a little bit of melted candle wax makes a nice little patte' for firelighting, try it. cheers the interceptor boy.

Have you considered using a grinder for blending/shredding tinder?
the sort usually used by fans of herbal tobacco can grind(shockingly) most things quite well and would probably shred both the willow punk and birch bark tinder.
i carry one sometimes to grind dandelion roots for coffee but would imagine they would work for that too. will have to give it a go

*edit to add* i speak from misguided follies of youth and am now more sensible *

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
just wondering what did you do with that big fungus on the tree.? mixed punk wood with a little bit of melted candle wax makes a nice little patte' for firelighting, try it. cheers the interceptor boy.

I'll try that cheers. I left it where it is , I can't afford to do the armado ? Prosess. There are a good few in that wood.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Cheers man o tanith... I reckon I might know a man that knows a man who might try using one for me. Good 'elth :thumbup:

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I can greatly appreciate the virtues of punk wood.

But, wetland - winter. Found wood usually too damp to take a spark?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE