willow fish traps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
i was just discussing these with a friend today. he was saying how you can weave these cages that you just leave in the river. fish swim in and can't get out. like a creel i suppose.

i love weaving with willow, and it seems such an obvious thing to do.

does anyone have any pics of such a thing or links to an online tutorial on how to build/use one?

i guess they'd have to maybe have a reasonably narrow mouth with a wide chamber in which you place bait. or maybe even just putting a walled off barrier across the burn would work if the currents sufficiently strong? i really don't know, just throwing ideas around

i remember trying to build dams out of sticks to catch fish when i was a kid. it never worked. but we were nippers, and splashing about in the water throwing mud at each other probably doesn't help attract the fish

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
The one in the tutorial listed above, looks a great deal like the ones I have seen in Arkansas. In the U.S. these are illegal as hell, in all states that I know of. Any U.S. citizens are forewarned. I'm surprised they are legal in the U.K. (I'm assuming they are legal)

it's more a case of whether you're allowed to fish in a particular river or not, it's all estates you know, if you're caught fishing without a license you're in trouble.

i can't see why'd they'd be banned, they're not cruel are they?

or is it a conservation issue?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's because fishing is considered a 'sport' :confused: not really done to fish for food :rolleyes:

Mostly conservation is preferential for species like salmon and sea trout unless it's in waters stocked by angling associations.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE