Willow burl kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
This is my newly made kuksa. I just "found" a willow burl I had lying in the shed for some years and desided to make something of it. As it was to small for new scales for my BK-9 I made a small kuksa out of it.

kuksa1.jpg

kuksa2.jpg

The kuksa holds about 15cl of fluid.

I did not use hand tools to hollow it out (wood very hard, and it takes too long), but used a pillar drill with a round rasp bit.
Nor did I make (braid) the leather holding the toggle. It is a store bought one.

The wood is treated with something called "Paraffinolje".

Tor

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
It looks lovely!!

A kuksa is something I havent tried making yet. Will have to keep an eye out for burls. The wood looks a bit more difficult to work with but the resulting shading is well worth it I think.

Cheers
Ness :)

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great work Tor, I like the Antler and Birch Bark? in the handle.
Looks just the job for a spirit in the evening.

jtbutcher

Jan 18, 2011
Warwickshire, UK
This is my newly made kuksa. I just "found" a willow burl I had lying in the shed for some years and desided to make something of it. As it was to small for new scales for my BK-9 I made a small kuksa out of it.

The kuksa holds about 15cl of fluid.

I did not use hand tools to hollow it out (wood very hard, and it takes too long), but used a pillar drill with a round rasp bit.
Nor did I make (braid) the leather holding the toggle. It is a store bought one.

I dont think it matters what tools are used when the end result looks so attractive. goodjob

The wood is treated with something called "Paraffinolje".

Tor

Paraffin oil?

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Nice work I like the shape a lot

Paraffinolje this seems to be petroleum jelly or similiar
Solid at room temperature?

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
Traditional hand tools,rasp or drill,the kuksa looks beautiful.
Did you bless it with some stronger stuff or did you take some tea?

Theo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE