Will Thornproof Dressing work on other materials?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Gary
I've had reasonable results proofing some cotton/poly cotton items, but not with "Barbour Thornproof" per se.

I make a mixture of waxes, linseed oil and occasionally neats-foot, cheap Barbour copy, Renapur - basically whatever I can get at the time. Almost a "tin-cloth" recipe.
Heat it up till it is a liquid and paint it on - sometimes it'll soak straight in, other times it has to be encouraged with an external heat source - hair dryer, hot iron etc.

It does make the resulting material quite stiff and will certainly darken any light colours, it'll also smell like fresh paint for a few weeks!

It has however, transformed as supposedly waterproof coat that seemed to suck up every drop for the three years previously and turned a summer sun hat into a good waterproof rain hat, as well as being virtually a leather dressing as well.

I reckon it'd be worth trying.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've used it on an old Norgie sac before.

rubbed it on and used a hair dryer on it, does darken the material.

Seems to to the job but it was never caught in any real rain.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I tried barbour thornproof on a pair of old cotton canvas trousers to see how water resistant I could make them with reasonable results. I heated the wax and used my fingers to apply it with the help of a hair dryer.

The trousers are a twill weave so I guess were never going to be waterproof, but they do resist rain quite well and dry quicker than of old. The downside is they are much heavier, stiffer and less comfortable to wear and are cold against the skin.

It was an experiment on an old pair of trousers but I don't wear them very often and I think there are better options for trousers at least. I guess it depends what you are thinking of applying it to.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I used some of a dutch og heavyweight cotton combat jacket worked a treat,had some left and used it on the double lined knee's on a old pair of 70's poly cotton canadian army windproof,works quite well when kneeling on damp grass etc.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
As well as using Barbours' thornproof dressing on my oilskin drover's coat I also use it on various other items such as homemade duck cloth mittens & bush hat etc. & it works fine, it also waterproofs leather, although I wouldn't use it on treasured leather objects as I doubt the mineral oils & parrafin waxes used in the dressing are good in the long term, that said, the leather items I've treated have remained supple & in good condition.
The fabric ( cotton) has to be closely woven to be really waterproof.........
I haven't tried the Nikwax stuff, as I'm a bit of a traditionalist & enjoy the " melt the wax & rub it in " procedure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE