Will my bannock work?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Never had much success on the bannock front!

But watching an old episode of Mr Mears decided to give it another go

Will this work

2 part flour
1 part milk powder
2 tsp baking powder

For the basic version!

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I made some a few weeks back with a similar mix and it worked fine. I cooked it on the inside of some bark to one side of a fire. The tricky bit was getting it to cook through without toasting the outside too much, but I'm keen on doughy-in-the-middle anyway!:p

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I think the key with bannock is controlling the cooking time
So back it away from the heat if it's cooking too fast and increasing the heat if nothing's happening.

Mark

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Chemistry; citric acid+ bicarbonate of soda= carbon dioxide= lighter more bread like bannock. :lurk:

It is the princable behind soda bread which uses buttermilk. Lidls have powdered fruit teas in at the moment which work great, the result tastes like blueberry muffins. I haven't done the fruit tea version on a fire yet just in my oven at home, but this weekend i am giving it a go.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I use the same recipe as Pignut as a base recipe, you can even leave the milk powder out if you like. From that recipe I add things like grated cheese, dried fruit, cinnamon as variations.

Here is a cake mix you can pack dry (use dried eggs), classic Welsh cakes, they cook in a pan, no need for an oven or reflecting heat on them, just flip them over when one side is done. Great on their own with a sprinkle of sugar on top, or hot for breakfast with some jam or honey:)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/ilovewales/sections/food/welshcakes.shtml

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE