Will a trangia fuel bottle valve fit onto a sigg bottle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I tried it, but I couldn't get a decent seal.
Might have been just me though.
It was close, but wouldn't seal properly.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I have two Trangia fuel bottles, a 1l and a 500ml. The valves on them look identical to the unaided eye but I got a surprise when I tried them in a (genuine, aluminium) Sigg bottle just now. They are definitely different. The one from the 1l bottle more or less fits in the Sigg bottle but the Trangia thread seems to be a little bit too big. It's a tight fit and it would undoubtedly be damaged by repeatedly inserting it into the Sigg bottle. The valve from the 500ml Trangia was so tight after half a turn that I abandoned the experiment. In case you're wondering, the 500ml bottle has had alcohol in it all its life, and the 1l bottle has had my Coleman Fuel lookalike (a mixture of brake cleaner and dodecane). I have known petrol to cause plastic stoppers to swell, but not these fuels.

The shapes of the sealing rings, and of the mating surfaces on the Trangia and the Sigg are different. The Trangia uses an O ring, the Sigg uses a flat washer.

My two cents: don't do it unless you can live with the potential consequences.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
It's a tricky one. I have seen a Sigg fuel bottle (the red ones) used with a Trangia top, and it was fine. Although I guess these things are fine...... until for whatever reason they're not. Then get out the way!

Although I use a gas burner in my Trangia now, so what do I know?

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Until today I had a 30+ year old Optimus bottle that the trangia valve fitted fine but it suddenly developed a hole in the bottom on the way home from Wales last night, luckily it was in a plastic box! The Sigg fuel bottle however has shown signs of corrosion from meths and the valves, trangia or sigg seem to go stiff quite quickly. I got an MSR bottle for Colman fuel but I think I will get the non childproof cap next time I see one at a reasonable price.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It's a tricky one. I have seen a Sigg fuel bottle (the red ones) used with a Trangia top, and it was fine. Although I guess these things are fine...... until for whatever reason they're not. Then get out the way!

I did it with my red 1 L Sigg and one of the first Trangia stoppers. A tight fit but works, gives a good seal. Last summer I tied it with a 0.5 L Sigg and a newly bought Trangia stopper. No go. Probably supposedly the same thread, but different ends of the specs tolerance. Irritating to say the least.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE