Wilds survival kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, i have a small daily kit, and a kit for the car

What shall I put in a `macro` kit for going in the wilds?

This will be a decent sized pouch, starting with my small kit tin.

Ill start with;

hi viz vest
multitool
para cord

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I've put together a nice kit based around one of these...

20029.jpg

For scale, it's about the same size as a water bottle pouch.

It's a PLCE medic pouch. It is a bit big for casual belt carry, but it's great for just throwing into a day pack or shoulder bag. It opens out to reveal 3 smaller pouches. One big one at the back, and two smaller pouches at the front. The idea is if you are going out for the day and not expecting to overnight, you can just sling this into whatever day pack you want to use and it's all there if you need it or if you do need/want to stay out overnight.

sk001.jpg

sk001a.jpg

There is a 2 litre MSR water bladder, folding plastic cup, small FAK with a number of items including 10x pre-made rabbit snares and few plasters etc...

sk002.jpg

Falkniven F1 with paracord, DC4 sharpening stone, Wenger Scout (excellent) SAK, leatherman P4, more para cord...

sk003.jpg

milbank bag, space blanket, cheap vaccuum packed poncho...

sk005.jpg

Comprehensive survival kit, based on the Ritter mini kit but with numerous items added, included water purifying straw, red and white photons, stock cube, mixed spices, salt, and a BCB mini mess tin which I have made a handle...

sk004.jpg

Better shot of the handle/adapter...

DSCN0129.jpg

DSCN0137.jpg

DSCN0153.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats a good kit and a snazzy pouch, Martyn.

I have a PLCE waterbottle pouch for my stuff.

Ive now got an orange survival bag for it, and a space blanket.

I have only one space blanket, so that will go in this kit, and for my car kit Ill simply have my blanket.

(or should I get another??)

On the subject of my car kit, I have thought I should include a tightly rolled rucksack, should I need to walk out.

(I seem to need TWO car kits, one for normal use, the other for the wilds...and i have taken my ordinary car down some pretty remote tracks....if my Skyline can do the East African Safari rally, then my Metro can do anything that GB can throw at it....and yes, I do have my very own snow chains....)

mtnfolk mike

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2006
felton, CA... US.
that's a great looking kit martyn..... nice photos too.... :D

i've had my eye on an F1 for a long time now..... :rolleyes:

ROVING ARCHER---- hey you're right down the way from me...... we should shoot sometime...... have longbow(s) will travel..... :D allscared@yahoo.com

cheers... mike

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
What a good post here. Love the kit pics Martyn. Thanks 4 that. Interested to see as a background of the mess tin shots a replica gas mask bag?
Tengu .... Snow chains... this is the most sensible thing that I have seen posted for a very long time! Were they difficult to find here or do they come from Finland with your connections? I know that snow is now a rarity in the uk nowdays BUT when it does come there is total chaos here in the Chilterns. Makes hard work for tractor drivers!
My input would be to have a reflective coat / jerkin in the car too as then people can see you. Also perhaps not in the flurogreen but in flurorange. This is an observation from when the leaves pop here in the spring, if you are wearing flurogreen you are almost wearing camoflage!
Swyn.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I got them from a car boot many years ago. Never needed them, and nearly gave to a pal who was doing a desert rally....

But Im sure they will come in handy should I need them.

I have a sam brown for the car. ill post pics.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
swyn said:
My input would be to have a reflective coat / jerkin in the car too as then people can see you. Also perhaps not in the flurogreen but in flurorange. This is an observation from when the leaves pop here in the spring, if you are wearing flurogreen you are almost wearing camoflage!
Swyn.

Yep, I second that....the orange is sooooo much easier to be seen in and what most of the rest of the world use for their hi-viz stuff.
Certainly in forestry pretty much all the hiviz stuff is orange.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
swyn said:
Interested to see as a background of the mess tin shots a replica gas mask bag?

Yes it is, not keen on it though. i've dropped it in favour of a swedish gas mask bag...

PAAAAALNNGAHNEPAt.jpg

Which, by coincidence, takes the PLCE medic pouch as if it were made to fit.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Oh and a quick note on that Wenger scout, it's great. Better IMO than the Victorinox rucksack - I own both of em and I prefer the scout for one huge reason. The saw!

The scout is a folding saw with a blade and a can opener, the rucksack is a folding knife with a saw and a can opener. The main tool on the scout is the saw and the knife has been designed around it, and in use, it shows. The scout's saw is better by miles.

Some comparative pics...

You will notice that the victorinox is the prettier knife, no question. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

sak001.jpg

sak007.jpg

sak006.jpg

The saw...

On the wenger model, it's centrally located, in the victorinox, it's offset to one side...

sak005.jpg

The wenger saw is much bigger and at a better angle...

sak004.jpg

Obviously, the saw on the victorinox is useable, but the wenger knocks it into next week in terms of comfort, speed of cutting, usability etc. All this is moot if you carry a laplander, but in a small survival kit the wenger wins IMO. A good saw is very, very useful.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ill remember that. I need a new multibladed thingy

my SAK is knackered, I have two cheap multitools, one for everyday, the others in the car kit.

Ill remember to get an ORANGE vest too

(saw one in a skip the other day, unfortunatly skip was fenced off or else I would have grabbed it)

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Martyn
just had a look at my SAK out of curiosity, it's the Hiker and the saw is central with the knife next to it.
Do i win a prize? :D
I havn't tried the saw yet . The reason i got it was because the blade is as long as i think they do with being legal and it has a tin opener and bottle opener. I'm not likely to be carrying around 1 litre bottles of wine with me. Thinking on though there are plenty of ways of opening a bottle of beer without a bottle opener so maybe i should have got the corkscrew. :rolleyes:
great pics by the way, are those segmented pouches expensive?

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
nice post martyn, love the pics. ws very interested to see the handle you have made, I use the same tin, I will have a bash at making my own. Also noticed you have some instructions, anything interesting ?can I be cheeky and ask would you be able to scan them and send them to me. :eek:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Aragorn said:
Martyn where did you buy your Wenger scout, i've googled it but can't find it anywhere. :confused:

The model is actually called the Wenger Ranger Scout, It's new for 2007. I bought it from heinnie's, but it was expensive. Try doing a google search for "wenger ranger". :)

Be warned, the knife is not the prettiest in the flesh, the victorinox rucksack, forrester or trailmaster are much prettier knives. The wenger irritates me. It irritates me because in just about every other respect, I prefer the victorinox, but the saw on the wenger rocks - and that alone sold me. I just cant ignore how useful a good saw is and while the other aspects of the wenger dont appeal as much as the victorinox, they are good enough. So it's somewhat grudgingly that I pick the wenger for my kit.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Aragorn said:
nice post martyn, love the pics. ws very interested to see the handle you have made, I use the same tin, I will have a bash at making my own. Also noticed you have some instructions, anything interesting ?can I be cheeky and ask would you be able to scan them and send them to me. :eek:

I can do better than that, print off the original....

http://www.equipped.org/psp/psp_survival_instructions_0206.pdf

...and say thanks to Doug Ritter. :)

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I followed the link to the Heinnie site and saw the Wenger Giant. Wow. I've seen similar pictures before, but thought they were just for promotion - I didn't think you could actually buy one! £500 for an SAK. Wowsers.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
scanker said:
I followed the link to the Heinnie site and saw the Wenger Giant. Wow. I've seen similar pictures before, but thought they were just for promotion - I didn't think you could actually buy one! £500 for an SAK. Wowsers.
my dads mate must have over 100 knives and he now wants one of these, he said that it would be good to have one lol
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE