Wildlife pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Western Whip snake. Snakes & lizards used to be plentiful in the region but have drasticaly declined over the past two decades.
70204613_1105128329692112_3866719439810461696_o.jpg

69627245_1105128496358762_1600660192968572928_o.jpg

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Excuse my ignorance, but how do you know it's a cock goldfinch?

Goldfinches have different colouration across genders.
The males are the more colourful ones, like above.
The females lack the red face.
Compare the picture, above, of a male goldfinch with this picture of mine of a female goldfinch:
50972672078_8807452685.jpg

It's the same with chaffinches as well. The above is a male chaffinch. Compare it to this picture of a female chaffinch:
50972671203_38bc3b1198.jpg

Reactions: bobnewboy

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Goldfinches have different colouration across genders.
The males are the more colourful ones, like above.
The females lack the red face.
Compare the picture, above, of a male goldfinch with this picture of mine of a female goldfinch:
50972672078_8807452685.jpg

It's the same with chaffinches as well. The above is a male chaffinch. Compare it to this picture of a female chaffinch:
50972671203_38bc3b1198.jpg
Absolutely. The cock chaffinches also develop what look like black ‘spectacles’ around the eyes and bridge of the beak as they get older too. The one in my picture above is a younger male bird. The older ones are a fair bit more flighty and I find it difficult to get a good shot of one, but I will keep trying :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Are you sure? I thought both sexes were alike in Goldfinches. The ones without red faces are juveniles - well, so I was always taught anyway. In fact, I'm fairly certain - though the area of red is slightly smaller on females.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sorry guys; I 've just double-checked - male and female goldfinches have red faces; the females have a slightly smaller 'mask'.

We used to have a caged goldfinch in North Africa (it was a common cage bird there many years ago) and smuggled it back to the UK when we returned (well it would have died if we had let it go).

From the BTO website:

Carduelis carduelis​

The black wings, with their broad band of bright yellow, and the black tail with its white terminal spots, are distinctive in all ages of Goldfinch (the sexes are alike, or nearly so). In adult birds, the striking head pattern of red, white and black is equally characteristic (in juveniles, this is absent).​

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Are you sure? I thought both sexes were alike in Goldfinches. The ones without red faces are juveniles - well, so I was always taught anyway. In fact, I'm fairly certain - though the area of red is slightly smaller on females.
Interesting. RSPB online says that both sexes have coloured faces, and juveniles dont. Other online sources say that females may have coloured faces, but the red in particular is much more dull, and smaller in area. I was just going by what my dad used to tell me, so it seems I stand corrected. In my picture above, I believe that is definitely a male though, due to the size and bright colour of the face markings.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Interesting. RSPB online says that both sexes have coloured faces, and juveniles dont. Other online sources say that females may have coloured faces, but the red in particular is much more dull, and smaller in area. I was just going by what my dad used to tell me, so it seems I stand corrected. In my picture above, I believe that is definitely a male though, due to the size and bright colour of the face markings.

Sorry, didn't mean to 'correct' you; I thought you had found a cunning way of telling them apart :)

It's not so much the brightness as the size; I think you would have to have two together to be sure TBH. Also, I was under the impression there are considered to be 'sub-species' with small variations in teh head colouring.

It's been a great year for them here; we often have quite large flocks on the feeders.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Well whaddya know!
I stand corrected.
It's something I was told and had just gone along with it.
I was so confident I just checked my bird guides and they all said the same - both sexes have red faces.
I'm glad you raised the question now and challenged it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Here's a full-sized adult porcupine, probably 10-15kg. Have you got these? Up a valley not far from my place. I was not about to take a look at the south end to decide if it was a male or female.
The quills are worth about $15/g. Wad up a towel on the end of a rope,
Distract the Porky with some carrots. Hit the Porky in the tail with the towel.
The quills regrow in a few weeks. Sustained yield.

Attachments

• Holmes Porky.JPG
    Holmes Porky.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Broch

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
This is a sure sign of Spring. Up here, that's May. These are young Grizz, the sow was nearby. First green up in the valley is along HWY 16 and everybody shows up to graze on the lush green after a winter of hibernation.
As they age, they will develop more of a dished snout and a piggy nose.
They can sprint at 30+ mph to kill horses.

Attachments

• grassgrizz.jpg
    grassgrizz.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE